• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where are you going to start?

I know its a long way off but I'm getting a little eager to hit the hard water once again and I thought I'd ask what everyone's favorite first ice lakes are. Here's a list of lakes that I've had success in the past and that are easy to fish:

1) Coon Lake (Channel area): As soon as there is walkable ice you can find crappies migrating on the edges towards the basins. A lot of pike just off the channel once safe ice forms as well.

2) Chisago area: A lot of active crappies and gills roam the mid depth holes and pockets (8-18 feet) as ice begins to form. Also try the shallow still standing weeds before there are gone or lose value.

3) Linwood Lake (ice permitting): A lot of black and even white crappies out from the access in about 14-16 feet of water. Don't be surprised if you hook into a walleye they have been pretty active the last few years during first ice over these areas too. After about a week or two of solid ice and fishing pressure look for the crappies to migrate towards the deeper holes, mainly the 23 footer just out from the access. I like to go just off the crowd and fish the outer edges in the 18-21 feet.

4) Clearwater Lake (Brainerd/Garrison area): A lot of big crappies and gills sit off the shallow edges (5-12 feet) and are active biters once located. Areas were there is access to deep water will be hot a few weeks in.

There are a lot of other lakes but here are a few of mine. I'll add a few more later.

Good Fishin,
Matt

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 09-05-2003).]

Lake of the Woods.........@ 5AM, 12/18/03(or sooner if we ice up earlier) Pine Island area......about 25' of water. grin.gif
After about 1PM when the bite slows down to less than 20 fish/hour, head South to Waskish for a Crown at West Wind, a laugh with Kelly, and an evening on URL to hook into some slabs. wink.gif or a whole LOT of tiny perch grin.gif
Sounds like heaven !!

First ice location: Any lake in the state of Minnesota that has more than 3" of ice on it. Most likely candidates are the lakes in North-Central and North-West Minnesota. Early season Panfishing is a treat. Time to sharpen up the ice cleats and ice-picks (hopefully I won't need the later).

Take care and good luck on first ice.

SUNNYD

Do you remember me yelling "MJ5" during early last year at Coon? That was the first time we met, and now look at us. Can't wait for hard water. We will definitly have to plan some outings this season. Catch ya later.

hT

Of course I remember. How have you been Hawgtime? I think we can arrange some outings this year. I think there are some bull gills with our names on them. I'll drop you an e-mail.

Good Fishin,
Matt