• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A little pre-ice humor

Jim W

All,

A fellow co-worker recieved a fishing calendar,
you know, the one that gives "helpful hints" for improving your fishing.

I have it on my bulletin board as I write.
Not only makes me think of ice time, but induces a smile each time I look at it.

Here goes:

"To locate the best spot for ice fishing, try this: Drive by your favorite lake on a Saturday two to three hours after sunrise.
Everybody should be set-up, and you should get a good idea of where the fish are!"

If you have any of these corny deals, feel free to share. I need a laugh! 4 days cigarette free and counting!

Jim W

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 08-28-2003).]

Jim -

Best of luck on your battle to quit the heaters. I quit in 92, but the Warden still struggles with them. Hang in there, you can do it.

It there another page on that calendar that says "At first ice, wait until you see several set up late in the afternoon, just befor sundown. Then go spud several holes in the center of the group."

That always seems to happen to me every year.

Just wanted to congratulate you on kicking the habit. I'm a former "pack a day for 20 years" smoker and I know how much of a commitment this is. I've been smoke free for 20 months. Quiting smoking has probably been the most difficult yet rewarding thing I've ever done. Now I just have to get the wife to quite.

Stick with it Jim, It's amazing how much easier it is to breath.

Hang in there Jim. I quit in February and I really feel much better. I think making it for two weeks is a great milestone. After two weeks, you feel much better, your sense of smell and taste starts to come back, and you are also at the point were you can say "I've already got two weeks under my belt, no turning back now." It also helps to keep track each day of how much money you have saved.

Keep at it Jim. Wish I could kick the nasty dust stick habit myself. I once made it for near 6 weeks and started again. I've only tried the 'cold turkey' method and I don't have the fortitude or something. Terrible as my Dad was a lifelong smoker who died at 42, I'm now 41 and still can't quit yet, something about that cig with my morning coffee or that evening Budweiser maybe!

Fisky

Interesting,
This wasn't suppose to turn into a support group for my attempt at quitting, but I do APPRECIATE the support, thanks guys!

Fisky:
I quit one time for a whole year. I blame the re-heat on a campfire with fresh hot open fire coffee!

I've noticed n the last few days my intake of coffeee has dropped too! hmmmmm? I can't stop drinking coffee too can I?

Back to the funnies!

Jim

TROUTMAN,

Good point! I just emptied about 30 butts out of the front pocket of my fishing vest this AM!

It's amazing the looks I get from people, putting butts in my pockets in town!

Now more money for tackle and gas to and from fishing! !!!!

Jim W

That's right Jim.I think you can figure about a pack and 1/2 a rapala.Isn't that about right?I haven't smoked since 1977.I quit when I got out of the navy.Just before I got out and my last time out to sea,I purchased 20 cartons of heaters to take home with me.At $1.90 a carton,smoking was an affordable habit...even on sailor's pay.Cigarettes bought on the ship,came wrapped in a very heavy cellophane,similar to what an individual pack is wrapped in,only thicker.I was stationed in Jacksonville,Fl.To keep my smokes fresh on my drive back to Minnesota,I packed them in a cooler full of ice,thinking the heavy cellophane would keep them dry(dumb)...it did not.I had driven as far north as Kentucky and when I stopped to replenish our drive home cigarettes,I discovered the cartons had leaked and most of the smokes were ruined.I quit then and there.I wasn't going to pay civilian prices.26 + years later,I'm very glad I did.Good luck Jim,Mike