• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

license cost and fishing in polk county

Sportsman connection has a book that shows lakes by region. I think you can buy them at pretty much any outdoor place in wisconsin. But I have seen them at FleetFarm in Hudson. They are pretty detailed and have info. and stocking data on each lake. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: foulpole18
I think the year long nonresident is $50.(65 family). There are a lot of lakes in polk county so I'd have to think there are some good ones.

You'd think that but I've tried at least half of them without much success. Depends what you're targeting I guess.

If you are targeting panfish, especially big gills it is hard to beat polk county. Balsam, long, white ash, big round, and deer lake can all be really,really good along with quite a few others. My grandparents live on half moon lake and I spend 20-30 days on the ice up there a year, my grandpa goes almost evry single day so I definitely have the advantage of knowing where the bite is wich really helps, but if you are willing to put in the time in that area you will not be disapointed

OLY,

When I get the right conditions in the summer I'll use a popper and my fly rod and spend more time taking gills off than fishing for them. I know there's plenty of them to be had in the area. It's the other gamefish I speak of. Other than some nice bass holes and the big name muskie lakes it's pretty disappointing. Walleye in particular aren't worth chasing. From the DNR fisheries manager:

Quote:
The walleye population has decreased considerably. Natural reproduction of walleye is no longer occurring and stocking success has been poor at best. Similar declines in walleye abundance have been observed on other Polk County Lakes.

I learned alot as a kid fishing a bunch of lakes in polk county. There's a bunch of small lakes that don't get a lot of attention. I see you live in Stacy...I lived in North Branch til I finished high school and fished just across the border. Head over to St. Croix and stay on hwy 8 for a couple miles after you cross the bridge. Swing in to the bait shop on the right and they'll probably have a bunch of info for ya. A lot depends on what you want to fish for. There's plenty of places to go to get a pile of pansh and small pike but it's a little tougher to find a spot to get some trophy gamefish. There's a few little lakes stocked with trout too if that's of any interest to ya. Either head over and talk to some bait shops or make some calls to other bait shops though and they'll help you on the specifics.

Originally Posted By: ole
Vahn, don't be fooled by the statement from the Wisc DNR. If you hit the lakes early around opener you can do pretty good!

Good Luck, ole

That statement was given for Magnor sometime mid-summer when I requested the spring netting numbers (conclusion shown below). The creel survey will continue until the end of March and won't be available for a while but based on my conversations with the clerk the numbers are going to be absolutely dismal for walleye on a year where they were practically jumping in the boat elsewhere.

Quote:

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Treaty Adult Walleye Population Estimate

County

Report Created

Waterbody: MAGNOR LAKE

WBIC: 2624600

LAKE CHARACTERISTICS: LAKE ACRES: 231

Survey Year: 2007

PRIMARY RECRUITMENT SOURCE: STOCKED

POPULATION ESTIMATE: 169

LOWER 95 C.I.: 107

NUMBER/ACRE: 0.7

NO. ADULTS <12 INCHES/ACRE: 0.0

NO. ADULTS 12-15 INCHES/ACRE: 0.0