• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

upcoming ohm, atv trails around metro

Kodiak

I don't see any comments here as argumentative. I completely understand where you are coming from. I just wish it were that easy!

We just have to remember that we are the vast minority when it comes to Minnesota citizens. Most of the people of Minnesota could care less if I am able to ride my wheeler ANYWHERE, let alone in the metro area, near their back yards!

There are some good things happening up north. There is a large trail expansion that you are probably aware of happening up north of Mille Lacs that will link a lot of trails together and make for a pretty large system up in that area.

I just think that the Metro area is a pretty hard row to hoe and maybe at this point it may be better to get behind any new trails on the ground and go from there. We don't want to cause too much of a ruckus when good things are happening around us.

Even if we were able to aquire a trail in the metro area it would not ever be much of a system, more of a go back-and-forth type deal, and it would get pounded hard! After a short while, you probably wouldn't even want to ride it any more.

But then again maybe I am all wrong so if someone wants to go for it, I am behind you 100%. Like I said before, I think the very best place to start for anyone interested is to get in touch with the Shakopee club, join it and be active. But don't expect the world all at once. I think this is going to have to be a baby-step process.

I'd have to agree Kodiak. Out of the last 10 years that I have been driving that stretch of road commuting to work, I have seen an Expedition barrell rolling into on-ocming traffic, a trailer with a skid-loader decide it was going to take an alternate route on it's own, through the ditch.

It's a bad stretch of road.

I know it is not ideal, but what the DNR representatives explained to us was that we have to start somewhere and since there is already basically a trail along the highway there, it would be easier to convince the powers that be to dedicate it as a trail and it could be ridden all year long. Then you convince the DNR that you are serious about this thing by maintaining it and staying out of the local police reports, then maybe there could be a next stage to this trail.

It seems to me that the general public does not want to see these machines at all. That's why I think the roadways don't work that well. Along 169 up here it isn't legal to ride there anymore, especially in Sherburne County.

Good Luck to you all in the south though. \:\)

Originally Posted By: Big Dave2
Personally, I have decided that I would rather put mine on my trailer and drive up north to ride. It's a lot more scenic, and its a good excuse to go up north for the weekend!

So true!!!

Dave,

when Roofer, 4Wanderingeyes, myself and a couple others get our ride planned for this spring, I will swing through BP and pick you up.

I'm up for anything about now.

For the spring ride, it's going to be tough to plan the way the weather swings lately.

I'm hoping March or earlier if the weather does cooperate. Some trails will be open if it is still frozen.

As of right now, the St. Croix and nemadji are open until it thaws, then they will probably be closed for awhile till they dry out. Those trails would be fun with some snow left and a nice 50 degree day.

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM
 Originally Posted By: Big Dave2
Personally, I have decided that I would rather put mine on my trailer and drive up north to ride. It's a lot more scenic, and its a good excuse to go up north for the weekend!

So true!!!

Dave,

when Roofer, 4Wanderingeyes, myself and a couple others get our ride planned for this spring, I will swing through BP and pick you up.

Sounds good to me Dave!

My sister and her husband have a lake lot in Hill City where I do most of my riding. If you guys want to go up there some time we could do that too.

I also have family up in that area (Cohasset).

So far if we want to plan a ride before spring, I am open February 16th and "maybe" March 1st. My dad is wanting to go to SD fishing at Waubay on March 1st. But that will depend on his health. It would be a blast to hit Nemadji with some snow. Especially with a group of riders.

Nemadji Feb 16? Is that the trail by Isle? If so I may be open for that. Lets see how the weather turns out by then.

If we plan a ride in Wisconsin some time, the place I ride they dont open the trails back up until Memorial weekend. But the trail have plenty of mud holes that are designed to play in, and with soft bottoms, so the winches will get used!

The trail by Isle is Redtop. Nemadji trail is up by Nickerson. I think you would like the trail, being it is faster paced.

If it stays like it is now with little snow it would be perfect. I went for ride the other day and it was great. The ditches were packed solid. It was like riding a slippery groomed trail. kinda nice for a ditch.

I'm hoping to make it to Wisconsin with you guys this year. I hope it works out. Is it open Mem. weekend or the weekend after?

there are some OHM specific trails in Nemadji also. Be sure to have your bike registered. A few years back there were 2 CO's that had a group of about a dozen guys pulled over for no registration. The stickler.........These guys ranged in age from 50-70 years old.