• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gas mileage on your sportsman 500??

stubby1

I would like to hear what kind of gas mileage your getting on your sportsman 500 efi or carbed 500.Tell me miles per tank total or miles per gallon. I asking this, to show to an owner, that the newer machines get better gas consumsion then his old 335 sportman. By the way, he only gets 42 miles to a tank of gas and then hes out! no more fun.Hes going to upgrade to a 500 this spring but is really wanting to know what kind of gas mileage to expect. His mind is made up for a Polaris so no need to try to change his mind.Thanks everyone for your replys.

Roofer and I had a group ride in nemadji back in 2001 when I had a 2000 SP 500. Out of the 60 miles that I personally put on, I only used 1.5 gallons of fuel. That's a very commendable 40 mpg. It's not as though we were just [me]-footin' around either. There was snow, slush, and slop on the trails that required a few extra beans to get through.

No need to question the decision to stick with a Polaris. Especially the 500. One of the best machines on the trails today. And I've had several different brands.

Thanks again everyone for the replies,I knew you would help out. Keep up the good work. This future purchase is going to be used for work on a farm. No trails where this is going(central ND).It is going to be used daily for running around the farm,checking on cattle, Fences and driving out to the fields,etc. Its also going to be used for hauling people, pails of grain and anything else you can think of.THe hardest work I can think of, it is going to be pulling around a "fencing trailer".This trailer will have everything in it to fix/repair fence as well as put up new fence.It will get to climb some hills and cross some shallow water but nothing that it can't handle for sure. Most of the time the old 335 has done all this so far.Thankfully the 335 has had low range to help out the pulling. With a new 500 everything should be easier to do but most of all be able to get farther from the gas tank at the house.

just curious, does the old 335 have the same size gas tank as the newer 500's?

I would think it is maybe a smaller tank and will possibly skew your numbers but I am sure that all the major brands of wheelers have improved thier MPG over time.

Big Dave, I don't remember the size of the tank but I am pretty sure its 4 gallons,or at least 1/4 of a gallon of it.The complaint on the ol 335 is 42 miles from top of the brim to the last drop.He really hopes that as the machines advance that the mileage comes along too. He really wouldn't be happy if it(the new 500) only gets 40 -50 miles to a tank of gas.

Carpenter, Your right the independant rear suspenion is really nice.The only down fall is those darn little axle boots that need to be changed from time to time.When you run in tall grass and weeds, and some twine also, they have a tendency to wrap around the axle and wear those boots out.He is pretty good at changing those to by the way.

Thanks for the replies.

I would say there's something wrong with the machine if he's only getting 42 miles from a tank. If it's working hard in the mud and getting the snot beat out of it, I can understand, but definitely not under normal easy riding conditions.