• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Waders for spring

It's been a real cold and snowy winter here in Ma. and I need to think of Spring. I need to get a new pair of waders and I have some questions. I have a long torso and I'm kind of chubby and have short legs for being 6 foot tall. All of the waders I have ever used don't seem long enough & big enough in the body and bunch up on my legs. Can you buy waders custom sized for a resonable price somewhere?

Wishin2BFishin

Depends on how often you wade, what you wade through etc. If it is only a few times a season, I recommend hip-boots.

Otherwise there are a variety of name brands for chest waders. Either boot or stocking fit(with personal wading boots).

Again it all depends on how much fishing you do also, what time of year.
Here in SE MN, Spring and Early Fall, the weeds are at a minimum so you could get by with a 3mm neoprene. However, I imagine neoprene would be the hardest to match your size needs.

Go with some breathable waders. Your looking at $150 starting for decent chest waders.

I personally have blown out so many waders that I struggle justifying the purchase of high end waders. THEY ALL END UP LEAKING AT ONE POINT OR ANOTHER.

One more, there is suppose to be Kevlar waders out there somewhere. I don't know who makes them, but they are suppose to be puncture proof.

If you buy your own fitted wading boots, you need to ask yourself are most of the streams I wade rocky bottom?
Felt bottomed waders are very key in preventing slippage on rocks, however are very slick in mud!

A few things to keep in mind!

Jim W

I love my breathable waders. Light and even if to long the bunching doesnt bother you because they are so thin and flexable. Got mine at Gander on a end of the season closeout for $39. If they are too cold I put some fleece on under them. That was 4 years ago and they are still going strong.

You can't buy custom-made waders for a reasonable price. Period.

I am 5 feet, 9 inches tall, and have short legs for my height (29-inch inseam) and a very long torso. Not to mention a 9 1/2-EE shoe size.

I went to WalMart and bought some booted rubber chest waders for $19 on sale. They are a size 11, which doesn't quite fit in the foot and, being that big a shoe size, they were made for a taller-legged guy. So the legs are a bit too long and the torso is just right.

For $19 I can live with that. Once you get them on and get out in the water fishing, it all disappears anyway, as long as you can get two or three layers of polypropylene and fleece under the waders to keep you insulated.

Worry less, fish more.

Wow, sounds like a new motto. grin.gif

Thanks for all of the great info guys. I do have a set of hip boots that I use when I go after Rainbow Trout and I use them to go clamming as well. They work well but I would like to get the lines out just a little more so I thought waders would be good. I guess the idea of getting a set one size bigger than your normal foot may work. I did borrow a set of 11's once that was okay. I guess being a little uncomfortable is okay to get some nice Rainbow's for my smoker. Smoked Rainbows are the best way to eat them.
Thanks again.

Wishin2BFishin

Make sure you try some of the "cloth type" breathable waders with a separate pair of wading shoes. I bought a pair of goretex lined breathable waders and they've been a great purchase along with felt soled wading shoes. They should fit your build better than either rubber or neoprene, and are very comfortable and you can add or remove layers as the temps and comfort demands. They make the wading and hiking and rock climbing that go with trout fishing much more enjoyable. Also they pack into less space than a pair of jeans.

I bought a pair of waist-high breathables last year and really like them. If you do alot of walking,(I do) they're much better than chest high and give you another 6-8" inches over hip boots, which usually is just enough to free up another panther martin. Got mine at Gander for $79 I think, plus boots.(stocking feet). I got felt bottom and have found them to be fine in the mud. If you're surf fishing, better go for the chest waders.