• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Year's Blind Shoot

Almost too much light today but spent a little time in the blind anyway. A few visitors:

NY1.jpg

A couple of grosbeak portraits:

NY2.jpg

NY6.jpg

Redpolls are starting to come in:

NY4.jpg

an occasional red-breasted nuthatch:

NY5.jpg

and of course, plenty of chickadees:

NY3.jpg

NY7.jpg

Canon 40D 300mm 2.8 Av 3.5 ISO 200 and shutter speed varied with the changing light.

Sweet stuff, Ken, as expected! grin.gif

X-T, you have the setup you need to take images that good. Get yourself a back-yard popup blind and start feeding birds. You can set up with the camera six feet from the perch with that lens, and you'll be able to get chickadees that fill at least half the frame. And your zoom makes you totally flexible when bigger birds come in. If you want to go that route, there are lots of tips we can give you.

Anyway, great images, Ken. My back yard was the dead sea again today, so I went farther afield to find a few. Looks like I'll have to rent your setup if birds continue to avoid my yard this winter. confused.gif

Quote:

X-T, you have the setup you need to take images that good. Get yourself a back-yard popup blind and start feeding birds. You can set up with the camera six feet from the perch with that lens, and you'll be able to get chickadees that fill at least half the frame. And your zoom makes you totally flexible when bigger birds come in. If you want to go that route, there are lots of tips we can give you.

Steve, I do have a photo blind I purchased about 15 years ago. It's a very nice one designed by L.L. Rue. Unfortunately, I live 2 blocks from downtown on 2/3 of a lot. I do have 2 trees in my yard but a house as a bg from all sides. These houses are close and high. It makes it a real challenge to get a shot of a bird high enough to have the sky as a bg, but not so high that the angle sucks. Also, I put out a couple suet feeders about a month ago and all I get is an occasional nuthatch and downy, not even a chickadee. Most days, nothing shows up. I know, I should move. grin.gif I'm going to have to try and find others in town that live near the Redwood River and also feed birds. That's my next project. I'm pretty sure no one would deny me permission to take photos of their birds, if I offered them a free 8 X 10. wink.gif