• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Saw a good deal for all the birders.

Paul

Last couple weeks at the Owatonna store have only found the singles, not the convenient 12 packs I bought earlier. Was on a mission both times and couldn't find anyone back in that part of the store. A little disappointing because the woodpeckers, chickadees and blue jays are really blowing through it. Oh well, at least I got my wax worms and camouflage nose hair trimmer! grin.gif

We used to make our own by saving uncooked fat trimmings from beef, pork and chicken, then rendering it all in a big pot, adding a handful of seed partly as a binder and then pouring it into the leftover plastic containers from storebought suet that fit right in our suet holder.

That was as close to free as you could get, but it takes a bit of time, of course.

Rendering all that fat drove the dogs crazy, too. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I was banished from melting suet in the house several years ago and was forced to join SMA (suet melters anonymous). While I rather enjoyed it, the wife failed to share my enthusiasm. Back in the days when I still had my little 4x4 Chevy Luv pickup, would head to the local locker plant here and buy 5 - 10 lb chunks of raw suet for a couple bucks. Fashion a chicken wire feeder and hang in it a tree, would last much of the winter. Not as aesthetically pleasing perhaps as the purchased suet feeders but if you wanted cheap, it got the job done.

Yay! Was just in the store where you go to the bathroom in the big orange silo on Monday and they had the 12 packs again. Good thing I stopped as there were only a few left on the pallet. At once, all was well with the world... \:\)

I found this recipe on the net. The birds much prefer it over the blocks I bought locally. I also made a suet feeder large enough to hold the equivalent of 4 small blocks.

•Melt 1 cup shortening (or lard) in a saucepan on very low heat.

•Add 1 cup peanut butter and stir until melted.

•To this add 1 cup plain flour and 3 cups plain cornmeal. Mix thoroughly.

•Add whole rolled oats, seeds, raisins or bread crumbs if you have any. The final consistency will be putty-like.

•Pour into a disposable 8 inch by 8 inch aluminum pan and allow to cool.

•Slice into quarters; each one should fit nicely into a suet cage, available at most garden centers.

•Store remaining squares in the refrigerator.

I took some fat from my deer last fall and hung it next to my suet feeder, the woodpeckers have been on it all winter while the suet goes mostly untouched.