• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ladies Hikng Boots w/Thinsulate?

Ever heard of such a thing? I will be looking for a boot with my wife. The sole separated on her old pair. I'm thinking Gore-Tex with about 200 grams of Thinsulate. She generally likes the hiking boot style, but that could change. I personally love Danner boots, but they don't make a ladies hiking boot with Thinsulate. Any thoughts?

You say the hiking boot style, are these meant for hiking or another purpose?

I checked REI's HSOforum and couldn't find anything that wasn't a winter boot that had insulation. Many had Gore-Tex but no thinsulate. Obviously there are other places out there that sell that type of footwear, but REI is a pretty good place.

If finding the right boot doens't happen, you can happily settle for one with Gore-tex, a quality liner and some smart-wool socks. I haven't met a woman yet who doens't love the feel and warmth of smartwool. They are expensive at $17 a pair, but they are worth their weight in gold.

Borch ~ Your post caught my attention!

I have problems finding boots that keep my feet warm. Fishing or hunting. How does the 1200 grams Thinsulate work for your wife? Does it keep her warm? I love to be outside, but cold feet really are not fun. I'm looking to buy a pair of boots prior to the Brainerd fishing tourn.

Thanks,

Char

Hi Char! I have 2 pairs of boots for ice fishing. I wear Rocky Blizzard Stalkers (1200 gram thinsulate) and then when it's really cold I wear my LaCrosse Ice Kings (I think 200gram thinsulate but I could be wrong & they weigh about 7 lbs). I love the Ice Kings! They are quite heavy though.

The MOST important info for foot warmth is socks though. My feet sweat quite a bit so I wear Smartwool socks for a couple of years now. I previously wore polypropylene socks on the 1st layer and then wool on the next layer. I would always get cold feet anyway. But nothing compares to Smartwool socks. Don't wash them with fabric softener! Good luck at the tournament too!

Char,

The boots are the same Rocky boots Lisa has I believe and they have kept my wife's feet very warm. There are several keys to keeping your feet warm with good boots being just one of them. The layering of socks as Lisa mentioned is helpful. Anyother important factor is circulation. Make sure the boots you buy have sufficient room for a few layers of socks with some extra room but not too much room. If you add too many layers and your boots get tight your feet will get cold. Often less is better with socks. Find good thin but warm socks that wick moisture away from your feet. My wife froze her feet the first time she wore her new Rockies. As I checked closer I found that she had tucked her pant legs inside her boots and laced them up as they didn't pull over her boots easily. This really cut off the circulation to her feet. A little adjustment and she's been toasty warm since.

Cold feet can really put a damper on an ice fishing trip. Good Luck in your search. We'll be at the Brainerd tourney also and good luck there as well.

Quote:

she had tucked her pant legs inside her boots and laced them up as they didn't pull over her boots easily. This really cut off the circulation to her feet.

I've done this before!! frown.gif I learn something new on this forum all the time. Awesome piece of advice! Thanks Borch.