• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Digiscoping

Well,I figured I step into the digiscoping world today grin.gif...orderd a nikon 50mm digiscope set up with a Nikon p-4 (8 meg) camera...been looking at em for a few days on the net and decided to take the plunge grin.gif...not sure what I just purchased here but we'll certainly find out shocked.gif...looks to be a decent set up from other users in the birding world...here's what it looks like...now...just have to play with it awhile to get used to the rig grin.gif

blognik50a.jpg8334_300.jpg

thanks guys!...not sure how clear the images will be as we all know the greater zoom the worst image results...also field of view may be compromised...but at least I'll get a better shot of an eagle sitting in a tamarac swamp in the bog grin.gif..hopefully shocked.gif...guess we'll see!

Steve,..I here you on the vibration thing...this "combo" package was apparently set up with that in mind..the p-4 has a vibration control built in(they say)...there's a "digiscopist" (Mike mcdowell, don't think he'd mind mentioning his name here)that has quite a blog/site in regards to birding that's been doing digiscoping for awhile connected to other "renowned" user's of the same techniques...a whole new world of photography...can even use it for those dragonfly shots in summer....I just have to get sd cards and a lithium charger...been used to xd cards and double AA'S grin.gif....the camera set up should be here later this week....Christmas early! grin.gif....of course that doesn't mean I'm getting rid of my older cameras...will still use them in conjunction for sure!...tough to take a macro with a digiscope shocked.gif...

I Just saw the Cabelas add and the had an adapter to use your camera on a spotting scope. They called it a Digiscope adapter. Is this the same thing your talking about jonny?

How good are the images through a standard spotting scope? I know I've tried through binoculars with no success at all.

Moose, the entire digiscoping assembly I have came as a "kit"

NIKON 8.1 digiscoping kit with Nikon ED-50 Fileldscope all the adaptors ,the eye piece(16x/24x/30x)wide DS) etc., 8.1 Nikon P-4 camera, 50mm Nikon(236' view at 1,000 yards(2016mm 35mm equivelent)) digiscope, were sent along together all in one box...nikon did all the "work" as they figured out all the necessary adaptors required for the best image quality and camera...yes..aperson can adapt almost any camera for digiscoping but you have to do alot of "homework" to get the correct lenses(eye pieces and adaptors)...I have yet to even try my outfit out as of yet so I'm not even sure how it will even work...(snowing out today, not the best conditions for digiscoping grin.gif)...just put the thing together this morning and those japanese instructions had me scratching my head to say the least ...after looking through the scope at full magnification,you'd better not be drinking any beer the night before grin.gif...thing jumps around to the rythym of your heart beat...better have a tripod! grin.gif...

Frame_DSCF9649-1.JPG

Looks like a war toy grin.gif Rig it, Set it, hit the plunger and run!!! grin.gif Just kidding it looks like a standard point and shoot Nikon hooked up to the danderous end can you switch camers to a dslr or something with image stabilization?

Lol!....it does have somewhat of a radical look to it I must admit ,I just hope it works like I want it to...and....does what it says it's supposed to do.... or,it's back in the box ....the camera has image stabilization...which should help on those long shots one would think....but...the instruction manuals on both the camera AND digiscope "suggest" you should turn "off" the "vibration reduction"(image stabilization) if you use a tripod.... smirk.gif.....must be a reason...maybe they believe the camera will be rock solid with a tripod....so...i'm turning off the image stabilization....go figure.. grin.gif

jonny, this is kind of off subject but what framing and matting program do you use? I use gimp imaging freeware and would like to have software to put the frames and mats on for posting.

Thanks Moose

Moose...I purchased one online about 2 years ago called "ID Framer"...payed $23.00 bucks for it...just google it and can get all the info there... and a "freebee" called "ultrasnap"........and also use "Picasa"(free)....for processing somewhat....just google these...

Jonny,what are you trying to do to me??!! My wife is pestering me to go and get my 1st ever colon examination overwith,and you're image of that outfit is not doing my nerves any good! grin.gifgrin.gif

If something like that is on the table when I go in the room,all they will hear is the door slam and all they will see is my tire smoke leaving the parking lot! shocked.gif

Frame_DSCF9649-1.JPG

just got my manfrotto window mount today!.......hope it works shocked.gif.....would like to leave it attached to the window for a few miles on a photo shoot but would probably shake itself apart hitting all the rough roads,don't think it's designed for permanent mounting....guess best to remove it and re-install the unit on approaching a subject....hopefully an eagle this weekend(Sunday) grin.gif

Frame_DSCF9725-1copy.jpg

Jonny,

I've been anxious to see some shots from the field and feedback on your digiscope. How's it working for you?

There's a guy just north of Madison here who takes some pretty darn good bird pictures with a digiscope, but he's not messing around either. He's using a top of the line $warov$ki spotting scope. Go to birddigiscoping with the w's in front and the com at the end to see some of his work. This isn't meant to be an advertisement, but just an illustration of what someone has done with a digiscope.

Matt...Been so cold out that I'm kinda waiting for things to break..........I think I know who that digiscoper is in Wisconsin...I've been to his blogsite before,excellent images from his digiscope setup...I think he's Mike Mcdowell,the guy's into close-ups of birds bigtime and has some excellent images digiscoping,I'll have to do my homework before I reach his level grin.gif