• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Prep for Mounting Fish?

Wables

Alright, I have that feeling. I feel that I am going to get a 34" eye on Saturday. Now, what do I do with it in preparation for mounting it? I was told to wrap it in a wet towel, then in a plastic bag, then freeze it. Is this correct? What is the proper procedure? Is there anything I can do early on to make the mount turn out better?

Thanks!

P.S. Obviously I haven't been in this dilema before frown.gif

------------------
Wables

You have it right. I did the same routine on a 10# walleye a couple of winters ago. Wrap it COMPLETELY in the wet towel and make sure the fins are stowed in proper position before doing so. Good luck on the 34" fish. If you didn't go out there expecting to catch one that big, you never would......T

I asked about the wet towel and was told no. The advice I was given instead was to place the fish in a plastic bag and fold the fins against the body except for the tail-keep the tail fins straight or at least not curled up or bent in any way.
We were prepping a couple of crappies so a bread bag is what was suggested for us to use. Maybe two bread bags for walleyes and northerns?Good questions, I know we were scrambling at the time and not sure what was the right way. Good thing we had a cell phone with so we could call the taxidermist. That's how you know a guy is a good fisherman or not,...if he/she has the taxidermist number programmed on their cell phone.hehehe Just kidding. The person I called just so happened to be a relative. Oh well, it was worth a try wink.gif Good luck on your 34" dream!-TROY

Wables, you should consider a graphite replica. All you need are some length/girth mesurements and a good photo. Keeps the fish in the lake and looks just as good, especially when you have the photo mounted underneath.

Plus, it's a lot easier to simply tell the taxidermist it was 34" long, rather than have him stretch a real one out! wink.gif

CK,
There is nothing stopping a guy from doing that but, you could also buy a mounted real one from numerous places. If a guy has that big of an ego problem (not saying you do of course) then he should go for it and make his head grow.

As for the replicas, I have both and will never have a real mount again. Any doubts on the reality or quality of the replicas then you should check out a scheels store, most of the new ones have numerous world record replica mounts and that are PERFECT...plus the fish lives to fight another day...win/win!

The wet towel is the preferred method by most taxidermist I have dealt with.

This seals and protects the fish much like a cast on a broken leg. After soaking the towel and allowing it to freeze, spray it again lightly and insert it in a airtight bag. Or as air-tight as you can get.

DO NOT WRAP IN PAPER...PAPER=BAD! The paper dries out the natural oils in the skin. They will not like that at all when they thaw it out in the shop. Some guys will not do it if they see the paper wrap. The paper will dramatical lessen the life of the mount and the overall quality.

Personally, I vote for a replica mount. Get the thrill of the catch, and the release, and have a mount that will last a lifetime. Take good pictures, get length & girth, then let her go. Trust me, it is Twice the thrill!

Hang a photo with the mount and if folks don't believe ya, well #@$%-um. You will know right?

ed-logo.jpg
http://ed-carlson.fishingbuddy.com

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 01-29-2003).]

I have to second, third, whatever the replica mount. I have had a skin mount done, and over time it has deteriorated, fins get frazzled from dusting, bumped etc. With the replica mounts, be sure you take a GOOD picture, so that they can match the coloration! That was one of the reasons that I did the skin mount, and I was disapointed in what I got back, it really didn't match the fish that I brought in, where as with the replicas, they can pretty much make an exact copy.

Last fall, I caught a 42" muskie that I photo'ed, and tried to release. (My buddy took two pictures of me trying to release it, but it wouldn't go, I held it in the water for over ten minutes but it wouldn't move. I have CPR'ed hundred of fish and this never happened before) So now I have a fish to mount. My question is, is what is a good price for a mount? And just out of curiosity, how does an actual skin mount compare to a replica for cost?

The price will vary from taxidermist to taxidermist on the replica. It is usually more expensive to have a replica vs. the real mount.

As for the wet towel business. A wet towel is fine for most fish. Don't use towel that may bleed ink (color), or use a towel that has been bleached. Its best to use a towel that doesnt *shed* if possible.

What ever you do, DO NOT WRAP YOUR FISH IN NEWSPAPER!!!

There is one exception to a towel. You dont want to use these on a crappie if at all possible. The problem with crappies is they shed scales very easily. It's easy for a taxidermist to cover up a couple lost scales, but its tough when they lose too many. Crappies are the hardest freshwater fish to mount. They have very delicate skin and lose scales easily. In fact, many taxidermist soak them in elmers glue to help keep them together so they can be fit to a mannequin more readily... trust me .. its a pain in the @ss.

If your keeping a fish to have mounted, or having a replica made, be SURE to get several good photos of the fish to show the detail of the fish. A real fish is much easier to paint because the pattern is still on the fish, although its faint. A replica is quite a job in some species ... especially northerns and muskies.

In the end, the real fish will be a far better mount if done by a good taxidermist. Be sure to check out the taxidermist before having anything done. Some are not very good at fish, and great at animals ... or vice versa.

I worked as a licensed taxidermist for a few years.. This info is from experience.

One of our local taxidermists charges $10.50 an inch for walleyes and $12 and inch for replicas. His prices are usually higher for anything than anyone else. But he does very nice work.

Labrat,
I have to disagree with you on your theory for the mount looking the same as when you brought it in. Just b/c it is a replica doesn't mean the color will look exactly the way it did when you took it in. The color all has to do with the taxidermist and how well he/she can paint. True, real skin mounts do dictate to a point natural color and how well the scales will take the paint, but the final product still depends on the taxidermist. You could take the same replica mount to 5 different taxidermists and you will get back 5 different looking mounts. They may all be close, but they will not be the same. Why? Because they are artists and the paint job on the mount is a reflection of how well they can paint.

As far as answering the original question of how to prepare a fish for mounting, make sure all of the fins are in a relaxed position, the fish is flat, the tail is pinched and flat, and double wrap the fish in plastic bags. I usually use a thinner breadbag type and then wrap that in a heavier garbage bag type. The key is to keep the fish and fins flat.

I have several different mounts. A couple are from salt water and a couple fresh water. They vary from 10-20 years old. All of my mounts have a little cracking, most is pretty minor. From now on I plan to just go photos and replicas. Wither you go natural or a replica, the color boils down to the taxidermist/artist. The major downside of "natural mounts" is aging and wear and tear. I boated a 22.5 inch large mouth last summer and plan on going with a replica. I can hope that the bass I caught is still swimming!

------------------
"I'd rather be fishing"

Mike