• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Parents Articat wont start.....

Shawnny B

I posted this in the expert forum and was informed my Mr Harvey Lee to post here,

I grabbed the parents 4 wheeler last weekend and today I went to start it and it just clicked like it was a dead batter, I went and put the charger on it @ 2 amps and with in minutes it said full, I pushed the start button again and it just clicked under the seat, I hit the winch button to bring it in and it clicked there also. Is this just a frozen solenoid or is it in need of replacement, any suggestions?

I have replaced the battery as I found it frozen all the connections on the back under the seat where the clicking was coming from have been cleaned.

Thanks for all replies

ShawnnyB

On a side note, maybe better with a 2nd post

The foot control brake does not work, it has oil but no pressure, Bleeding needed?

Thanks again

Shawnnyb

I have a 2004 AC 400 4x4,that has a three year old battery(factory original), and since it started getting colder, I have had issues with it starting.I went and bought a new battery-Extreme AGM, and a battery tender.The guy at Batteries Plus said an ATV battery will last three to five years,depending on how much usage the machine gets, and how well the battery was maintained.I figured three years is enough,and it is time to get a new one.Having the machine not start because of a weak battery, on a frozen cold morning like we had today, in the middle of Mille Lacs is not an option. The Arctic Cat is a bit tempermental when starting with the choke as it is when it is cold out,so no sense compounding the issue with a weak battery.

Never had an Arctic Cat, so I don't know how they act. The brake could need bleeding, but not sure. I have had a few other machines where the foot brake never worked, but i don't use it so it's no big deal.

With the battery.....If it was a new one, did you charge it for 14 hours before using it? They will show full charge on the charger, but they need to be charged for at least 8 hours the first time.

Usually the clicking means weak battery. I had that happen earlier this year and all it took was a recharge of the battery.

As far as the rear brake, it could be a bad rear brake reservoir (or what ever it's called). I had that happen on my 04 650, but luckily it happened under warranty and it was repaired for free, otherwise the shop bill was ~$500.

I had the same problem twice now on my 05 cat....if it's clicking below the seat, I would check the positive cable at the solenoid....for some odd reason mine has come loose twice....does'nt matter how hard i tighten it...and yes the star lock ring is there.....good luck, i hope this helps.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, and that's because maybe I am blush.gif, the answer is no, I haven't used the primer on the carb.Now that you have mentioned it, I will look for the primer, and actually use it. It would help to read the manual all the way through when I buy a new machine, I suppose, even though I got my current one three years ago. grin.gif

Shawnny B, Sounds like you might have a loose connection or a bad connection somewhere. If the new battery is fully charged as you say and all your getting is a clicking thats where I'd go first. If its sat for quite a while connections can get corroded causing poor and insufficent current flow. Clean up and tighten up, all the way to the starter as well as the selenoid connections. As for your footbrake not working since you didn't say what year it was you better check to see if it is even hydrolic. It could be just the right rear is manual [footbrake] and the cable is bent up or stuck due to corrosion. If its been a long time since this wheeler has seen a car wash or cleaned up this mught be somthing to check also. If its manual and stuck down the brake light would always be on when the key is left on[not helping battery life] One thing I've found about Warn winches is if you have been doing some mudding and didn't clean and wash things up good afterward you sometimes have to put them in freespool and pull a little cable out when they won't engage right from the start. Almost like they get a corrosive dead spot on them in a certain place. Once they start to work again you don't seem to have that problem anymore. Go figure! Hope this info can help you

Sorry it took so long for an update, but I worked alot last week and finaly got some free time to go back out and check the wheeler yesterday, IT WORKED ..turned out it must of just been the bad battery, and maybe something on the connections as I cleaned those also. Thanks again for the responces YAll are GRRRRRRREAAT ! grin.gif

ShawnnyB