• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"The Black Hole"

wasssit

There is no hole on Mille Lacs! This black hole is on North Long Lake in Brainerd.

It's interesting with how much media attention Mille Lacs receives, suddenly every story about a northern lake just has to be related to Mille Lacs, as if there aren't any other lakes in MN!

news alert!!! some lakes in minnesota have open water, pass only if you have any commen sense. if you see what looks like open water, do not drive into this. we need special people to see this happins, WOW is there that much eragant peoplr out there?

My own speculations on the "black hole" thing.
Add up all the daily high temps for a year and then divide that sum by 365. That will give you the daily average temp. This is also the temp of ground water. If a lake is spring fed then it is going to get a lot of water that is above 39 degrees, unless of course your daily average air temp is lower.
I say above 39 because that is when water is the most dense, in other words the heaviest. If your daily average air temp is 42 then your ground water will be 42. This will eventually surface because it is lighter. Get enough of it and it won't cool fast enough to get to that 39 temp and sink.
It accumalates in one area and thaws the ice in that area until the air is cold enough long enough to cool the surface water so it can refreeze.
Well anyway, like I said I was just speculating. I can't say that I have any scientific data to back that up.

I think we all know the dangers, but at certain times either are feeling extra brave, or just lose track with reality. I'll take blame for myself being guilty of this firsthand.

Breaking through can happen to anybody on any lake, at any time regardless of average ice thickness, weather conditions, etc.

I don't believe calling people "arrogant" is going to get the message out any more effectively.

Scott

from the [email protected]

Topic: The Black Hole
North Long Lake lies precisely in the Great Lakes Tectonic Zone, that Minnesota area where major continental tectonic plates adjoin and, as a result, where the state's highest incidence of earthquake activity has been recorded. It is the area where tectonic shifts are most likely.

The slightest movements of tectonic plates create thermal phenomena, and it does not take "major adjustments", or shifts, of tectonic plates to produce thermal enigma more than spectacular enough for local curiosity.

These minor activities are rarely, if ever, monitored so locally, nor are they fully understood anywhere. Nonetheless, they are best questioned geologically (as in "plate tectonics") than they are astronomically (as in "black holes"). ----
Ron Miles

WATER TABLE!

Yup, we just had one of the wettest years on record. The water table is UP and the 40 something degree water from the table is pushing it's way up through the thermocline and rotting the ice from beneath.

So, if you fish a lake with known springs in it, check the ice in that area!

Theory#1 The hole has been caused by a
UFO that crashed in the lake!!!!
It's engines are still hot after the
crash,hence the hole.

Theory#2 The hole is being caused by
an underwater Meth lab's exhaust!!!!
They went fully submersible when the
icehouse version lab was discovered
by the authorities.

Bigguns, from the looks of tghings, it seems that high ground water had been labeled the main culprit. Forest Lake and Lake Marion are also experiencing the same thing.
With North Long Lake, divers have supposidly seen weeds moving on the bottom of the lake, indicating the flow of water from the bottom of the lake.

Understanding the mechanics of Hydrology can be very complex. I doubt without a lot data gathering, modeling and educated assumptions that they will come to a conclusive answer to what is causing the open water area's. I'm not a Hydrologist but I'll throw my $.02 in the direction of fluctuating groundwater tables as the primary cause for the open water area's! Regardless of the cause everyone needs to very careful when venturing out onto any ice! Be safe and good luck!