• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Effects of sonar on fish

A friend of mine E-mailed Vexilar on this subject, Effects of sonar on fish. What are your opinions.

only letting 1 flasher per house.
they say more than 1 per house is
having a effect on the fish. ?
what about this ??
can the fish detect a sonar signal ?
is 2 or more flashers twice the problem 

Reply from Vexilar
Sounds like they don't want you to catch too many fish.
There is a debate as to whether sonar spooks fish.
Although I have seen that it does if you turn a depth finder on while a fish is below,
it has never been proven that the fish shy away from a sonar signal that is present before they get in the area.
Some even say the "ticking" attracts them.
More depth finders would cause the sound pulses to cover more area,
but would not increase the strength or loudness of the sound,Only higher power units would do that.
At 400 Watts the Vexilar flashers are on the lower end of what's out there.
An FL-18 set to the LP, Low Power mode runs below 200 Watts.

Thanks,

I just had a muskie attack the transducer on my FL-18 as soon as I set it in the hole. I had just finished cutting the hole 20 seconds before that. I figure that it was either the auger or the transducer that attracted that fish. I did about a 5 second tug-o-war with a 40 inch muskie. I would say they attract more than spook. I've never noticed fish scattering after I've put the transducer in the water. Vern

I am with Gill Man on this one

I and everyone I know catches fish with the vexilar's. So I would bet it does not scare fish. However I dont know about lakers/trout because I dont fish them. Those fish might have a heightened sense of noise/awareness that does affect them.

morriscode

My no. 2 son is absolutely convinced that a Vexilar will spook trout. We fish them in fairly shallow water[6 to 12 feet.] He uses a Vex for everything but them and consistantly outfishes me on trout, so he may be right. Even if he's right, I don't know whether I even remember how to fish without it anymore. Does that mean I'm addicted? It only took me about 35 years to kick tobacco, I should be able to kick my Vexilar in about the same.

One night a buddy and me pounded the eyes in a little tiny shallow lake. It was only 8 feet deep, and the only person that would ever catch fish is the one who had the Vexilar in his hole. We even would mark a fish in one hole, take the transducer out and put in another hole, and in about 10seconds a fish would show up. So my final thought: It helps a ton! Just my 2 cents though
Brian

I've often wondered the same thing about flashers, and I have a theory.

Most of you who use a Vexilar have placed your hand over the tranducer at one time or another and felt the rapid tapping of the sonar signal. I am certain that fish pick this up in their lateral line, and if they are not biting aggressively, or if they are undecided about hitting the bait, the signal from the Vex may make them decide against biting. At the same time, the extra vibration in the water might attract hungry fish who mistake the signal for movement of minnows, invertebrates, whatever. Not sure about that but maybe.

I think it will spook fish, even though it probably helps you catch more total. I've had too many fish bite within a minute of turning the Vex off for me to think it's coincidence.

I was at Mille Lacs last weekend and we were in a house with 8 holes and had 5 guys with 2 FL-8's. We only caught 6 walleyes and all came through the holes with the sonar. Maybe it was just a coincidence?

was out on lake bemidji today and there was a guy fishing off of cameron we were talking to him and he said he was doing rather well so we asked if it was ok if we could fish by him and he said yeah no problem. we set up he showed us what he was using. we fished the same exact depth same exact presentation jig color minnow size and he caught two more walleye (one 2# one 4#) and three huge perch close to 15" the only difference you ask? he was using a vexilar!! they make a huge difference in my opinion. which is why i connedf my mom into buying me a FL-18 if i make dean's list at school this semester

Just a brief story that always comes to mind on the subject at hand . . .

One of my earliest clear recollections of fishing involved a trip my father and uncle took on Pelican Lake, near my present home in Nisswa. Even though I was too young to recall some of the key details of the day, my father and uncle eventually explained what had so impressed them.

That day in late May we'd hired a guide out of Koep's Bait, named Gary Roach, to show us the ropes on this sprawling walleye lake. The pattern for the day soon became clear-- we'd fish what Gary referred to as "swimming beaches," backtrolling little green jigs tipped with shiners in 18 to 22 feet of water. Every time we'd come into a new spot, Gary would immediately switch off his Lowrance Green Box-- an item that I remember being transfixed by. Later into the day, long after we'd all boated limits of decent walleyes and some big pike, Gary explained how he was certain that walleyes could "hear" the pulses sent out by his unit. After all, he'd experienced it, noting that walleyes in that particular situation often vacated the area when he left the locator running.

So for much of the day, he simply followed breaklines based on landmarks and memory, absolutely convinced that his locator was spooking walleyes. Don't know if Gary would remember that day, as I've never asked him about it. But it'd be interesting to compare his thoughts on the subject then to his beliefs today, based on his vast experience since. Anyway, fun memory.

-a friend called Toad

I also have a theory on the flasher attracting fish. I think that it is possible that the clicking sound made by the flasher might sound like some crawdads scooting across the bottom. It makes a sound similar to the crackle stuff that i use in the summer. I hammered the smallies this past summer using that stuff so maybe the sound the vex makes helps also. Just my ideas and thoughts on that. smile.gif ><>
deadeye

I believe that in shallow waters (especially with lots of rocks) probably intensifies, if not deflects the sonar "pings" annoyingly. Seems like lately at Mille Lacs this has been the case. I also believe other factors contribute to the "slowness" of the recent bite at said lake. I imagine the small perch are providing ample forage for the walleye and that may be the reason they are not as apt or desperate to approach an otherwise tempting "minnow-on-a-hook"...(my excuse for not catching fish this year!)-- Andy

[This message has been edited by ackotz (edited 01-16-2003).]

I posted something similar last year about this time after a trip to L.O.W. There where 3 of us in a sleeper for 4 days we all had sonars. The fish where biting very lite. We where hardly catching anything. I think on the third day we walked over to another house where the people where there the same days that we where they had no sonars and the had tons of fish also had 5 over 24 with one being 31.5. We where only 30 to 40 yards away same exact depth. Then the last day are sonars went dead and we started catching a lot fish with the biggest fish of the trip a 21incher. Its an interesting topic. I definately think it could make a difference in some circumstances. Next time I'm out fishing and they dont want to open their mouths, I'll turn the vex off and see if it helps.

Good fishin'

river_rat
Sorry I don't have that information, if I hear more on this subject I'll post it. Good luck on your trip.

When I posted this message I was curious to see if anyone would comment on the subtle suggestion that if this condition did exist, vexilar flasher would not be a problem. I'm assuming the implication is that other flasher would be a problem. Any opinions.

You guys could be onto something.....

I have also experienced some transducers being "louder" then others in respect to the "clicking" from the pulses.

We'll have to test each one before we buy them now, and go for the most quiet. wink.gif

Scott