• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Steel Mesh Trailers

DTro

I used a friends steel mesh trasiler last year and towed it to North Dakota. One thing I learned very fast is the difference in mileage between the trailer where the ramp stuck way up in the air versus mine that folds in half and is not very high. The higher end gate really made a difference in drag and maybe also the steel versus the alum trailer.

Aluminum is much more spendy but boy I like how light it is and how easy it is to move around.

The only downfall I have found with my aluminum ntrailer is the bolts that connected the two halves of the end gate that fold in half. Seems with alot of winter towing that every couple years I have to pull a few bolts out and place anti seize on them and put them back in or they will sieze tight on me. Not that big of a deal but it needs to be watched or you could break a bracket.

I love the lighter aluminum.

Dtro,

I hear ya on the price thing.....I got a ....must be about 6 by 8 trailer with a flip up ramp that is steel mesh for 500 new. I use it to haul the wheeler ice fishin in the winter and for various other things. I just threw a sheet of treated plywood on it so I don't get as much spray through, and this summer I plan on coating the trailer bed, axle, fenders.....with a cheap roll on truck bed liner. yeah aluminum decked out tilt trailers are the way to go, but they are all well over a grand I would think, this works for me for now. I tend to keep my stuff sprayed off in the winter anyway, just take care of it and it'll last.

I got a mesh steel trailer from one of the box stores about 5 years ago or so. You get what you pay for. If you don't put alot of miles on and wash off your ATV in the winter after each trip, it will be OK for you. If you use the trailer alot, you will get about 5 years with stuff breaking along the way. I just bought an alum. and I wish I would have right from the start. IMO the box store trailers are only marginal quality.