• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Protective mother.

Well, by the looks of the image you must have been fairly close to the animals. Doesn't have the compression you see in supertelephoto shots. You've got more courage than I do. The one place I won't go unless I've got a buddy with a big gun alongside me is wherever there are grizzlies and polar bears.

Anyway, your image shows the whole drama. The cubs' uncertainty, the mother's protective instinct and the interloper's alarm. It's a great capture, and partly because it must have been hard to stand there and watch that unfold without getting the heck out of Dodge. grin.gif

All right, I'll come clean. This was a sort of controlled environment. The browns were fairly close, but I was on a viewing platform about 15 feet off the ground and across the river. However, the bears could freely roam either side of the river and also easily break thru the wooden gate on the platform, if they were so inclined. Fortunately, the bruins are used to the presence of people and there has never been a genuine attack at this location, on a human being. Interesting though, the 1/4 mile trail thru the woods to get to this platform, is the same trail the bears use. I did see one sleeping in the grass, about 20 yards from the trail. You want to make noise so they know you're coming. The worst thing you can do, is surprise one. Caution and common sense is important. It was quite an experience. Katmai is considered the 2nd best brown viewing location in the world.

When I was in Ketichikan AK a few years ago, bears were everywere, however I got absolutly zero good quailty images. At least none worth talking about. THere is a fish canning plant on the south side of the island, YOu could have just as well called it brown bear park.

Great action shot! I was in Alaska for most of the summer in 1978. Fished the Gulkana and Klutina Rivers in the Glenallen area, and one guy fished while the other stood shotgun. Didn't see any bears there, but there was "evidence" all over the place. Did see a sow and two cubs and later a big boar in Denali Park. They were FAR away but still impressed me enough at that distance that I wouldn't want to be as close as you were taking those shots. I did get some photos but they were just dots on the horizen! Well done! smile.gif

Isn't that where "Grizzly Man" Timothy Treadwell was eaten and processed by a Brown Bear??

You are absolutely right. Until that time, there had never been an attack on a person by a bear, for 85 years, at Katmai. I was there a few years before that unfortunate occurence. I had forgot all about this episode.