• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Specific portable fish house question

G_man

Here is the senario ... I have a Chevy Silverado w/ a regular box. I have a tool box behind the cap and a shortened tonneau cover over the box. The tool box leaves 10" between the bottom of the tool box and the truck bed.

I just bought an Otter II medium sled. The sides of the sled are 15" high and the sled is too long to fit in the truck bed with the tool box in place by a few inches(tool box is 18" wide). Hence, I can't close my tailgate to hide my equipment during the day. Nor can I slide the sled under the toolbox.

Arg, and I haven't even put the house on the top of the sled slides which is going to increase each end height.

So my specific question is this: What is the end height of the Fish Trap Guide sled and the height of the sled with the canvas/cabin on it.

I doubt this is going to work, but hopefully, by happenstance the Fish Trap will slide under my tool box.

My guess is the fish trap sled only will be 9.5", cuz that whats the specs say but the Otter specs show a height of 12", but that is the side height, not the end height. The front end (shortest end) is actually 15". The Fish Trap specs that I could find didn't have the height of the sled and collapsed house on it.

I don't have my Trap II in front of me, but the tub is no taller on the ends than it is on the side. It's not like the Otters that way.

I believe the Guide is the same way as the Trap II, but don't know for sure. Why don't you take the pickup to a store that stocks USL and try sliding under a Guide from the showroom. I'm sure a salesman would go with you to the parking lot to help you check it out.

If possible, I'm actually looking for someone to quickly just measure their fish trap guide in the collapsed position. I'm assuming that the canvas/cover rests on top of one of the sled sides and both ends. I've been unable to find this height on the internet and the unit is sold out at Fleet Farm (so I would probably order it from Reeds), but that doesn't do me any good for measuring it.

The height of just the tub on a fish trap guide is 7.5" high. Once it is assembled and the front brackets are on, it is 17.5" high on the front side of the tub (ground to top of bracket). The back side of the tub (where the poles and canvas would be when the shack is folded down) can be 'squeezed' down to about 13" if you try hard enough.

It sounds like the guide is pretty similar to the otter. Sorry about your luck!

wormfood

[This message has been edited by wormfood (edited 01-04-2003).]

Do you have an extended cab truck with a short box? You say you have a regular box but that would be 8' long and my guide is only 5' long and that would leave plenty enough room for the tool box. If you have a short box maybe you need to get rid of the tool box, get your priorities straight man!!LOL. Maybe you need a trailer, wait a minute that would be silly pulling a trailer just for a fish house, hey maybe you need a 4-wheeler too!!! What else could I spend your money on?
Dave

Thanks for all the replies. I got the Guide and it just fits in the bed, not an extra 1/4". I figured by being 5" shorter in length, I could tip it on its side and fit it behind my seats (in the extended cab). Luckily though, it fits in the bed. I spent alot of time on this and didn't get out fishing this weekend, but I'm finally happy.