• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What size buck do you shoot?

DRH1175

If the rest of the hunters would follow these same guide lines we could too have a few Buffalo counties around this state. People need to just hold back and take the ones with the lower quality genes and shoot some does, there be a lot better deer around. I agree with the others on antler restrictons. It's the only way some of these brown it's down people will get it through there heads.

I have to admit that I shoot any buck that comes by. I have gotten several large spreads, but will not pass on a small buck. This last weekend, I shot a 6 pointer.

Most of my neighbors hunt the same way, yet plenty of big bucks still come by.

If you have the right habitat...they will come. And, some always survive to the next year. Family and meat are the two reasons why I hunt.

I see two sides to this and can respect both. Public and private land.

I am fortunate to hunt private land with neighbors that practice QDM that my dad and I do on ours. We will have some nice bucks in the coming years. To all of those with private land and practice QDM, that's awesome...I like to hear it. For those with private property and decide to shoot smaller bucks I can respect that too. Not everyone is out for tropy hunting.

Now on public land it's a different story. If I were to hunt public you can put money that I would shoot a smaller buck because most of the time the area you are hunting is a place you cannot keep track of the deer by scouting or hang a trail cam with fear of it getting stolen. A buddy of mine shot a spike on opener (his first deer ever in 13 years of hunting!) on public land and even though I personally like to shoot bigger bucks I probably would have done the same thing he did.

Everyone has their own opinions on how big a buck should be. I personally don't think there is a right or wrong either way. Would I like to see the majority of hunters pass the smaller bucks? Sure I would, but i'm not going to be up in arms over someone that shot a spike like my buddy did.

Like I mentioned in my previous post I do go off antler size, but it's also age that makes a difference too.

Thanks for posting this topic smile.gif It's fun to read some opinions in a constructive manner with no bashing going on.

For the last 5 or 6 years I have been becoming more and more selective as to the sixe of a buck I want to harvest...It can be tough to be selective with all those 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 year old bucks offering numerous chances....but this is what I choose to do. 3-1/2 year old and better bucks is what I look for with the bow, shotgun and muzzleloader. Last year I did not shoot a buck, so far this year I havn't either, but have seen 4 or 5 that I would love to harvest. None of the surrounding hunters are selective as far as I know, but I still am very happy with the large deer I have seen so far on the property I hunt. I know very few of the immature bucks that I pass up make it through the next couple years, but it really only takes one...

I have no ill will towards anyone that shoots any deer whatsoever, I know that for most it is more about making the most of the limited time they have in the woods with friends and family, and any deer is a trophy in the eye of the beholder.

any size and anything doe or buck. why? i will let you know.

usually the deer we see each year is what we have taken we usually dont see anything else besides what we harvest. although bow hunting has opened up alot of options i have seen a bit more deers just out of range so i have passed on some. Given the chance i will ethically take what i can when i can. my 2 cents

Sam Cook had an interesting article in the Duluth paper a week before the deer season. One of the statistics stated that 50-60% of the bucks registered (NE or whole state I'm not sure) were spike bucks.

I always find it hard to determine a spike from a doe, If I can see small antlers, I almost always let it pass unless I am deerless or it is late in the bow season. I know that when if I haven't shot a deer with the bow yet on the morning of firearms opener, I harvest whats available and I don't feel ashamed of it. Throughout the fall, I will pass on numerous small bucks on both private and state land. Its QDM for all the wrong reasons, I pass on small bucks because I'm holding out for the big one, (worked great this year)not souly for the purpose of QDM. However, every little buck I pass on, might make it through to next year. As for the comment on Buffalo county, I worked in Buffalo county for years. The place was lousy with deer, too many for my liking. With all the deer in that county, there better be big bucks. However, its too bad that does often get slaughtered and sometimes wasted because people just want there earn a buck tag. I'd rather we keep doing what we have here, see a few deer here and there, knowing that if I hunt long enough, I'll get one. I don't need herds walking by me.

A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Some people search for that trouphy wife or husband, based only on looks.

The smart people find one that puts up with them and loves them no matter what! grin.gifgrin.gif

Give me the small deer I can eat. I don't mount my big buck horns anyway.

I personally shoot whatever buck makes me happy and I do always strive to shoot bigger bucks each year. I have been fortunate enough to tage 3 bucks 3 years ina row with two making P&Y. I also have the extremely good fortune of being able to hunt on private property which is a luxury I am thankful for every day. Forunately many people aroudn me have chosen to let the little bucks grow which we are starting to see the results of. Bucks that will make me happy are usually 3.5 or older.

I do however think people should shoot whatever animal makes them happy or that they want, sure I'd like to see a young buck passed in favor of a doe, but I will never look down or criticize someone for taking whatever deer they want.

I do admit I grimace a little to myself when I see a 4, 6 or youg 8 point taken with the bow in December. I just think that if that young fella has made it through most of archery season, all of the rifle and shotgun season and muzzloader, then he deserves a pass until next year where he will be sporting a larger rack.