• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shooting a bedding deer.

Slow Jigger

reddog...how do you get so close to the deer in the corn field...when ever i check rows they snow just crunches and they run...any tips for me on keeping quiet outside and inside the rows

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe,

There are several factors involved that will get you close.

Most importantly, is wind conditions. If the wind isnt blowing, you just as well stay at work or on the couch, because it just isnt going to happen in a cornfield for you with a bow. Gun, maybe, but not a bow.

Another factor, is time of day. Crunchy snow, will be less crunchy, from 11 am - 3 pm, the warmest part of the day, and coincidentally the absolute best time to go in a corn field looking for deer that is napping.

Soft powder snow, will still "creak" a little when stepped on, depending on the temperature, but its better than the wet/icy stuff that is out there right now.

Obviously, stealth is important also. You have to pick and choose your spots to cross a row, based on the available openings. Do I break off a stalk now and then, certainly, but I would bet that I do less damage than one deer walking crossrows across a entire field. How fast can you go in a field? Too slow, and you will take forever to cover the field, Too fast, you you will bust deer ahead of you. I timed myself this past weekend and I averaged a row every 5 seconds if I didnt have to glass anything either way. That calculates out to 88 minutes per half mile on 30 inch rows, which I despise, but, its the only game in town anymore. Knowing this time frame also helps when hunting with a partner, so you both keep pace with each other. This will keep you together until one or the other has a target.

ac,

The name of the book, is : Toads Tricks to Taking Whitetails in the Corn............... And Everywhere Else.

I have been checking [YouNeedAuthorization], and there are none right now . Its out of print, so until one comes up, I suggest you get it. I bought another copy last year, just because when I posted that it was available on here, I waited till the last couple minutes and when it looked like it wasnt going to go, I bid on it. I think I paid like $12 for it. Im not as concerned about damage to the book, as I have 2, its the video that I'm kind of overprotective of, because I'm pretty sure its irreplaceable.

I believe it was published late 80s or early 90s. Its just as good now, as it was back then, with the exception of farming practices and harvesting procedures. Some things are not as good, some things are better than back then.

Corn rows were typically 36" back then, and there was always a few select fields left in thru Thanksgiving.

Now, 30" is the norm, and 20 inch rows are making a presence also. 20 inch rows would be impossible to hunt this way. 30 are bad enough, but under the right conditions, which would be right now. While the narrower rows (30s)are somewhat of a detriment to hunting this way, some of the improvements to make up for it are: cleaner corn rows in fields that have been hit with herbicide, which is almost every field, right now.

Another plus, is that a large percentage of farmers that are left are big farmers with big equipment. GPS guided planters, put down rows that are nearly perfectly straight, so therefore you can see further when conditions are right, as evidenced in the pictures.

Corn genetics corn dryers are such that the fields come out alot earlier than in the past, which is also not a good thing. You need to wait till there are very few fields left, and the deer are somewhat concentrated before hunting this way, particularly in a large field.

I mailed my copy of the book out yesterday, but if you want it after huntinfishinmn is done with it, Its OK with me.