• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rare bird(well kinda)

jonny_redhorse

I've been looking for a decent shot(and chance) to get a pic of a black-billed magpie...finally got a chance this morning while on my weekend drive south of Hibbing on hwy#5...this one was feeding on a deer carcass a few days old (along with a couple bald eagles)...not the best as I took it through my front windshield grin.gif...things don't sit around poseing for you grin.gif

Frame_DSCF9345-1copy.jpg

"ratty" shot of the eagle but gotta take what you can get at times! grin.gif

Frame_DSCF9343-1copy.jpg

also a deer not far from the magpie

Frame_DSCF9336-1copy.jpg

scenery close to the magpie

Frame_DSCF9320-2copy.jpg

Jonny, that's great. As many times as I've been to Sax-Zim, where a decent number of these fellas hang out, they haven't stuck around for even a second once the old big black lens eye looks their way. Good job! Love that deer shot and the last one with the tammies and blue sky, too. grin.gif

The magpies are seen off and on in western Minnesota, less often on the Range, though I do see them pretty frequently along the Sax-Zim Bog southwest of Virginia.

The prefer open or semi-open country, and are common throughout the west and east through most of North Dakota. Roseau County, because it's pretty wide open in lots of places (massive hay fields, for example), seems to attract its share of them. And, of course, bird species move somewhat over time, especially as we carve out new habitats for them where there wasn't habitat before.

Steve's right on the magpies in this area(northeastern mn)...usually out in the western part of the state and even then they're more of a "western" bird in wyoming, montana etc....I do see them occassionally in the sax bog and when you do ,they are usually along side or fighting with the ravens/crows(magpies are related to crows) for the deer kills...I saw 2 last week on the "south admiral road"(Sax Bog) but couldn't the camera ready in time... if you find a deer carcass in this area...the magpies will more then likely be there...great photo opportunities...eagles too at times but to me the magpies are rarer then the eagles grin.gif...nothing to see eagles these days! tongue.gif..not that there's anything wrong with eagles shocked.gif... grin.gif

Jonny,

I don't know how much traveling you typically do, but if you ever head out west Rocky Mountain National Park is a great place to get Magpie images. Like many NP animals they don't have any real fear of people anymore. It's also a good place for Stellar's Jays, which are a cool looking bird if you ever get a chance to see one.

wink.gifYes we do! Yeah, they are hard to get pictures of - camera shy. I must have looked like a crazy lady walking and sneaking around to get some pictures. haha. Its fun. I love taking pictures. I just had a flock of Evening Grosbeak at my feeder (sign that winter is near)they are also camera shy. I got one picture that kinda turned out but not good enough to post.