• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My first deer!!!

fishtrapgirl

Finally got to go bowunting last week for the first time this year (been busy with work & building a house). I was sitting in a ground blind and had been out for about 45 minutes when I started seeing deer. Saw a doe that passed at about 60 yards and then later a doe and a fawn that hung right around my blind for about 10 minutes at 5 yards. Debated about shooting the doe since I so badly have been wanting to get my first deer, but when she started licking her fawn's face there was just no way. While these two were starting to walk away, this buck walked in and stood behind some brush. I got on the edge of my chair so I could draw back, grunted twice on my True Talker, and he stepped out broadside at about 25 yards. I drew back, released, and THWACK! What an awesome sound! He trotted about 30-40 yards, wobbled, and then fell. It all happened so fast, I don't think I realized how hard I was breathing and how fast my heart was pounding. I have bowhunted for 10 years, but never very seriously until the past few years after I married my husband. I grew up in a family that didnt hunt and I was always scared to shoot a deer because I didn't really have anyone to help me with it. So you can imagine my excitement to finally get my first deer, and to make such a great shot on him. He's no monster, but a trophy to me. I know I will never forget this first kill for as long as I live. I hope there's many more in my future as I am totally obsessed with bowhunting. Hopefully my Hoyt Vectrix gets to play some more string music this weekend!

100_0816.jpg

Hey fishtrapgirl,

nice deer and congrats on the first one. Its now in your blood and you'll definetly think twice about taking up firearms season, bow and string is addicting for sure.

Kudos to you and two thumbs up to your husband for introducing you to this great sport!!!!! grin.gif

mr

Hey Meat-Run,

I actually kinda re-introduced my husband to bowhunting. When we started dating I begged him to buy a bow at Gander Mountain. He had given bowhunting a try years ago, but had sold his bow before I knew him. Well, after we started doing 3D shooting and hunting together, he was hooked this time and is now more obsessed then me. It really is a passion for both of us. Not sure how I decided to get into it, just know at 16 years old I wanted to get a bow and sit in the woods. My husband did however introduce me to ice fishing and pheasant hunting, which are my next two most favorite things to do.