• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thoughts on Polaris 700 Twin

Big Pine Walleye

I drove it tonight and it seemed to ride very nice...the one question that I had was when you got the machine going and than slowed down, when you try to speed up again it seems a little hesitant. I talked to the guy selling it and he said that it was to do with the engine breaking....has anyone who has had one of these noticed that?

My buddy had the same year 700 and his did not hesitate, but the engine brake would just about throw you over the handle bars if you wer'nt payin atention. But if the price is right get it, and if you don't like it sell it for more

I just bought an '04 700 about a month ago. I've ridden other wheelers but this is the first I've owned. So far, no complaints. Smooth ride. Has cleared obstacles I thought for sure would get hung up on. LOTS of power. Probably more than I'll ever need. Mine does hesitate a little when "re" accelerating. The engine braking works good, shouldn't be a problem if you're paying attention to what you're doing. Mine is a little, just a little, cold blooded. On cold mornings (for archery) I need to leave the choke on a little longer until it warms up. Not sure if this is normal or if the carbs need a good cleaning/adjustment. I'll find out this winter, plan on using it for lots of ice fishing. So far, very happy with it. I thought I got a good deal from a dealer for $3500 w/1000miles. Blue book was around $3300. If its in good shape, I'd say go for it.

ERW

My buddy just traded his '04 700 in for a new 500. The problem with the 700 was he kept getting gas in his oil (figured due to the angle of the carb). We changed the needle and seat this spring and he still kept having the same issue. We had to change oil 3 times this summer and at $30 a pop it got to be real expensive. I'm not sure if it was just his unit that did this or if it is a common problem. He was tired of dealing with it and gave him a good excuse to buy a new one.

jltimm

what would your ideal wheeler be then?? I have a polaris dealer near my cabin so thats the big draw for me. I also owned a 250 trail boss back in the late 80s...pretty much worthless.

Now we would be using it for hunting and ice fishing...

An ideal wheeler for me would be one with 2wd and 4wd with a differential lock.I personally like the Yamaha Kodiak 450 (might be called a Grizzly 450 now). The Yamaha Grizzly 660 and 700.The Suzuki Kingquad 450 and 700. Honda's are a very reliable machine to, but they are a little spendy, and other than the Rincon 700, they don't have to good of a ride and they're only a 3 wheel drive.

Any polaris 400 and up will squash a kodiak or griz 450. There are alot of machines with switchable 2-4 wd and a diff lock for a good price. The only yamaha 4x4 that impressed me was the 700 griz and that's when I seen it in person. The KQ has a nice ride and a good buy. The new KQ750 hopefully will have more grunt.

I think the diff lock is a little over-rated for most users. With good tires, I hardly use my diff lock.

Why would ANYONE want diff lock? Sure, it gets you true 4wd, but when they are locked in they steer so heavy it's rediclous! Why do you think the Grizz 700 has power steering...it's a band aid for their heavy steering when in dif lock. I'd much rather have the Can-Am with the Visco lock front end(I think thats what it is) or the 4wd system the Sportsmans have. Flip the switch and go. IT decides when to kick into 4wd based on rear wheel spin. And it's TRUE 4wd, not 3wd like some others (until diff lock is on).

Actually Kawasaki has the only true locking 4wd that is not governed.

The power steering wasn't for the 4wd. The earlier model yamahas were 4wd all the time and steered very easy. To me it's just a marketing thing.

Visco-lock. Believe what you want, but until you see it in the mud, you won't know how bad it can be. Like I said, to me it's a little over-rated, but the visco lock does not work that well IMO.

Quote:

Actually Kawasaki has the only true locking 4wd that is not governed.

I wouldn't want to ride a Kawasaki with the pull handle diff lock at high speed. It makes my hand hurt trying to hold it in for a minute standing still. When it comes to diff lock Yamaha and AC have the nod with their electronics, but I can't stand how heavy those things steer when they are in diff lock to give them TRUE 4wd.

Last time I rode a Sportsman I had the switch in 4wd the whole time I was riding and that thing did 50+ MPH...don't think that's governed. Are you only speaking of diff lock equiped machines?

Why would you be holding the diff lock flying down the road at 50 mph???LOL Let alone be in 4wd??

On the others, I know it can be by-passed, but that speed governing really sucks.

Polaris has AWD, but the front wheels kick in only after the rears spins 1/2 or 1/3(can't remember for sure) revolution. This can be a problem in slow difficult situations, which is when some people use 4wd.

I see your point, but for that matter how would you know if you have AWD.

In order to see it actually work, put the machines in the mud or on the ice. You will see the Yamaha/AC in diff lock choke out at 20 mph. You will see the Polaris slip slightly before the front wheels engage, and you will see the Kawi spin all four all the way through the powerband.

I have to say, I do like the Polaris AWD the best all around. It engages fast and still steers easy.

The newer Sportsmans are nice, after riding with 2 the last month. I see 85% Polaris on the trails compared to other manufactures - I'm sure there is a reason! I'm still on the fence about my Can Am viscolok, never went head to head in the same situation besides the Polaris. And even then beating the PoPo, not sure if it was due to the machine or the rding experience. I love my machine because it doesn't seem as heavy or as wide as some of the other MFG's....plus I like the top end! wink.gif

Kawasaki rules! by far THE BEST DIFF LOCK EVER MADE!!!!! I mean really when you hit a big mud hole and in 4wd who wants to stop in it and put in low range and turn on the diff lock confused.gif I would rather pull my little yellow lever and let the mud fly off all 4 tires grin.gif IMO polaris are over rated. The AWD seems to me nothing but problems. Kawasaki's 4 wheel drive setup has been tried n trued. I have seen brute forces with FST 900 kits in them making 85-90 hp and running on stock tramsmitions and 4 wheel drive set ups cool.gif

if the 4wd is so great then why do you need a locker?

funny you mention FST, I XC race in the UTILITY class and a couple of the Prairies and Brute forces really scream with those FST kits. That Kawi V-twin is a great motor for modding and its amazing how fast they go from 0 to 70+. Its even better to see them pull away from the fully modded 450's sport quads in the open sections.