• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

'94 Polaris 300 Reverse Problem

Big-Al

I just picked up a second ATV that would not idle. I adjusted the screw on the right side of the carb counterclockwise and the machine now idles but dies immediately when put in reverse unless the reverse button is depressed. I am familiar with the polaris reverse button, but have never seen that machine kill(only run poorly) if the button is not depressed. The machine runs just fine otherwise. Any suggestions?

It's the shift lever not making contact in reverse. Very common problem with the older Polaris's. You can bypass the reverse over-ride and possibly fix the problem. I can try to find the instructions for this, if you want.

You could also take apart the box that the shift lever goes to and add a shim to make contact. You will see what I mean when you take it apart. I haven't had luck with this, but some say it works. Another alternative is to buy a new shifter. It comes with a new box and is updated, but I think it is a little pricey.

Hope this helps.

You could also try to adjust the linkage to the shifter. It's a bit of a pain, but sometimes that works too. If you do this, just make sure you are adjusted properly for all gears because if too far toward reverse, you won't have low range.

Big-Al- you may also want to take the top off of the throttle block. The Polaris has an ETC (electronic throttle control) switch on there that sometimes sticks for one reason or another. If it is stuck it automaticly kills the engine as if the throttle is stuck wide open. The Polaris snomobiles all have a similar feature on the thumb throttle. It's the little button on the throttle block when you pull the thottle open. On the atv's it's right underneath the cap on the throttle. Might be worth checking if you have trouble solving the problem. It's just on there to prevent the thing from blasting off if the throttle happens to get stuck wide open. Good Luck!

have the same machine, same problem, works right sometimes other times i have to hold the overide button in.wish i knew what wires to cut, or to wire together to override the switch. for some reason that machine keeps pumping oil mist out of transmission breather hose? any simuler problems on yours?

A far as the overriding a faulty rev limiter or just doing the reverse override it is pretty simple:

Check the wires going into the CDI. You are looking for a black wire going from the speed limiter to the CDI unit. Disconnect the black wire, and see if it runs. If it does, the rev limiter is bad, or is somehow getting a bad signal to kill the engine from somewhere.

You won't damage anything by running the machine with the black wire disconnected (be sure to tape it up good) but realize you are by-passing a safety measure, and will be able to go about 40 MPH in reverse if you hold the throttle pegged, so USE CAUTION if doing that, and remember you are responsible for not backing up too fast.

on the left side of machine under front side cover there is a circut board assembly? with bunches of wires plugged in it. top left are black wires, unplug and tape up second black wire down from the top. worked for me, good luck.

NAMASafetyDirector- Checked out the ETC and everything seemed in order. Figured I'd try that first since it seemed easiest.

ratmn218- Tried your fix next. The good news is that when I disconnected the wire that you did, it ran great in reverse. The bad news is it would not shut off, with the key or the kill switch. I reconnected the second wire down and disconnected the top wire and now is functioned great.

huntingislife - does this mean that my rev limiter is bad? I probably won't replace it, unless I sell the machine, which I doubt. It is like a brand new machine to me even though it is a 94. I think they are great machines for transportation only, but not for a work machine. I've got a Honda for that.

Thanks all for the responses. She is running great now.