• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for an ATV, what do you think?

Wiskers

I am considering getting back into a ATV. My last ATV was a 1996 Yamaha Wolverine 350 4x4. I loved that unit because it was light and easy to play with but still had power to work with. I had racks and a winch on it. What I am finding out is not many units are shifters any more. Most are automatic. Not sure I would like that?

What I am looking for is any info on a sport quad 4x4 reviews. I see yamaha has now the 450 Wolverine that is 4x4. The 350 is now only 2WD. mad.gif

I recently moved from a shift (01 Yamaha Big Bear 400) to an auto (07 Cat 700)

It's a matter of preference and what you do with it. I like the auto for trail riding and snow plowing, the shifter gets difficult especially in winter with big boots, to get past that, I bought a jockey shifter, which was really nice in winter. All in all, I like the auto much, much more!! as far as size, these things are all tough as nails, I don't think there's much that I can do with the 700 that the 400 wouldn't have done with a smile on its face.

Most of the machines have switched over to sport/utility except the Foremans, Cats, and sportsmans which are more geared for work. You have plenty to choose from in this class. Good time of year to buy a left over 2007 model and save a thousand or so. I would have to say the sportiest of the big bore machines would probably be the Rincon. The Kingquad 700 is also a good contender and a great price. The fastest top end is the can-ams and sportsmans. The quickest take-off and low end torque are the Kawasaki brute force's.

There is some generalized info. Now you can go test ride what you like and pick from there. That is the best way and it's fun.

I thought there was a good sale going on now on 2007 Suzuki Kingquad 700's that was posted on an earlier topic? Not to hijack the topic, but the Can Am 800's are quicker top end and take off than the Brute Force 750 from what I've read.Not that it really matters to everyone?

Quote:

I thought there was a good sale going on now on 2007 Suzuki Kingquad 700's that was posted on an earlier topic? Not to hijack the topic, but the Can Am 800's are quicker top end and take off than the Brute Force 750 from what I've read.Not that it really matters to everyone?

Depends on who you talk to. smile.gif I have seen video both ways. Stock for stock the BF is faster on take-off, but the 800 catches up fast.

I considered a 450 Wolverine before I bought the Rincon. But one thing that held me back on that was no low range if I ever needed it (even thought the Rincon doesn't have it either). But I chose the Rincon for the displacement advantage over the Wolverine.

I've been pleased with my first Honda so far. The tranny takes a little getting used to, but similar to the DS650 I had, the more I ride it, the better the motor performs. I just wish the Honda had the balls that the DS650 had.

I have on 06 Wolverine. I like it a lot. Depending on how much hauling you want to do you might be lacking in the rack availablity area. I plow snow using a 50ish" Eagle country plow with no problem...other than losing traction, not power, that was when we had snow deeper than the plow is high. No mods to it and I can get 50mph out of it. Does great "donuts". Taken it through the paces at Red Top and the Akeley area, along with most of the Soo line and a couple gravel pits. If you are needing more rack space and still like the size 450 class and weight Yamaha has a 2008 "Big Bear" edition that has a manual shift, special wet brake, special tire/rim combo.+ more..they call it a "mudders special" I believe it has IRS where as the Wolverine is a straight..which is nice when moving trailers around.

Nope. Must be some one else. If you see me I am usually riding with my wife who is on a honda rancher.

I do know you can get a 2.5 warn winch to fit in the front behind the "bumper", talk to the Yamaha dealer over in Cambridge they have a local company that makes special plates for them that allow the fit. Because the guys at Yamaha will tell you that only a 1.5 will fit. CMP also makes an after market rack for the front.

Whiskers,

I just bought another honda about a month ago. I got a 07 500 Forman camo for $5848. It is a great machine so far. I can't comment on other machines because the only wheelers, dirt bikes, street bikes and boat engines that I own are all HONDA! Got my first one in 1980 and have never regretted any one of them! I still have a 1984 TRX 200 that my kids ride, it still runs like a champ.

Quote:

Whiskers,

I just bought another honda about a month ago. I got a 07 500 Forman camo for $5848. It is a great machine so far. I can't comment on other machines because the only wheelers, dirt bikes, street bikes and boat engines that I own are all HONDA! Got my first one in 1980 and have never regretted any one of them! I still have a 1984 TRX 200 that my kids ride, it still runs like a champ.

LEP............This is exactly my point in another thread. Read the post above.

I'm not even sure why other argue? Just take The great site Fm as an example. Go back 10 or so pages in the ATV forum. It's My Polaris has a problem, my grizzly has a problem. I would bet that if someone had the time to go back and look at all the problems people asked about on this forum for the last year or so it would be a couple handa problems followed by a laundry list of polaris and yamaha questions. Just take a look at the last 10 pages. One Honda problem with a starter. The rest are problem with my yamaha or polaris. Sorry to you suzuki, kawi, and can-am owners but you don't count. because comparing you to the people that own Honda, Polaris, Yamaha is like Comparing the amount of people that own a Ford, chevy, or dodge, to the amount of people that own a limo.

Quote:

Quote:

Whiskers,

LEP............This is exactly my point in another thread. Read the post above.

Not sure exactly which thread you're referring to, but there is a common trend here. Honda's last. They may not be as powerful as the others, but they can and will get the job done.

Quote:

I'm not even sure why other argue? Just take The great site Fm as an example. Go back 10 or so pages in the ATV forum. It's My Polaris has a problem, my grizzly has a problem. I would bet that if someone had the time to go back and look at all the problems people asked about on this forum for the last year or so it would be a couple handa problems followed by a laundry list of polaris and yamaha questions. Just take a look at the last 10 pages. One Honda problem with a starter. The rest are problem with my yamaha or polaris. Sorry to you suzuki, kawi, and can-am owners but you don't count. because comparing you to the people that own Honda, Polaris, Yamaha is like Comparing the amount of people that own a Ford, chevy, or dodge, to the amount of people that own a limo.

C'mon be nice and honestly...get a grip. There are other sites besides this one with alot of knowledge and more than 45 people. You should check them out before you make outrageous claims like you did. smile.gif

Lep, I hear you, but that's not what I'm getting at. My point was the quote "I can't comment on other machines because the only wheelers, dirt bikes, street bikes and boat engines that I own are all HONDA!"

You don't know what you are missing if you don't know what's out there. No offense, but it's true.

I can't argue with you there. Through the years, I've had 4 Suzuki's, 1 Polaris, 1 Kawasaki, 1 Can-Am, and now a Honda. I can't really comment which I liked the most because they all served their purpose well.