• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's your yardage set up for on a 3 or 5 pin sight?

Swill

Quote:

Don't forget you can shoot your fingers off on the ground and hit pie plattes at 40 yds, you will shoot over a deer at 40 yds at 20 ft up a tree with the same set up.

Very good point. All the more reason to get out there and test where your broadheads are flying at all ranges and your preferred height to hunt at.

For most of my shooting (under 20 yards) I don't have too much of a problem with the arrow not hitting it's correct mark..but...I only go up about 12 feet. Just enough to get out of a line of sight.

Steve

So how many of you sight in your bow in the deer stand? I know a person should, but seems like a lot of work.

Climb up shoot arrows, climb downs, get arrows, climb back up....

Or can I assume a person shoots with a partner?

Swill- If using proper form, your pins should be on from stand height. The biggest thing to remember is... draw back level, then bend and the waist till you reach the target. If you draw with the bow on the target, you more than likely will be off by a bit.

Or... many I know, myself included practice off a deck... or I have friends who shoot off the roof of their garadge.

I know many that will get sighted in on the ground and then practice from an elevated position to make sure all is right. Also, when it gets cooler out, practice with your hunting clothes on to make sure you string is clearing all your clothing. I have seen at times where my heavy coat arm sleeve will get in contact with my string.

So if I shoot only 5-10 feet high, will that give me the same "feeling" of shooting from 16-20ft up?

Sorry if these questions are bow hunting 101. I bought my Reflex bow & set up last year, and hunting deer with the a bow is still new to me. I am shooting good from 10,20, and 30 yards, but the more I can practice different scenarios, the better...

Steve

Quote:

Swill- If using proper form, your pins should be on from stand height. The biggest thing to remember is... draw back level, then bend and the waist till you reach the target. If you draw with the bow on the target, you more than likely will be off by a bit.

Or... many I know, myself included practice off a deck... or I have friends who shoot off the roof of their garadge.

I agree...as long as you bend at the waiste, your pins should be correct from an elevated position

Swill- any height will help get the feeling... but higher would be better. Again, bend at the waist, that is key.

Also, when getting distances, always measure from the base of your tree to the target, not from where you are... IE with a range finder from stand... If you take the distance from stand you will shoot slightly high depending on how high you are in stand. It has to do with gravity and such.. but trust me on this.. measure from the base of your tree to the target.

Remmeber range shooting is marked yardage, if you have a range finder thats OK. but in the woods with no tape measure ,you step it off your steps might be only 38 yds or maybe 42 yds, to the ranges 40 yds. so step off your yds not your buddys. just to toss this in.

HAVE to go huntin this weekend ,than HAVE to fishing in Canada for 5 days, than HAVE to go huntin agian. grin.gif

Good luck to every one. Be safe.

I quit bow hunting for years because I missed so many shots at deer. 3 shots at one deer. Recently I decided to upgrade my equipment and get back in the game and it is my favorite sport. I now use a range finder and have pins on 20,30,40,50.

You have to be solid at 50 to kill cleanly and consistently at 20.

Guy told me "your worst practice shot is your best field shot". Consider that when you are on the range.

I have since killed 2 deer at 40 yards. Under the right conditions I would possibly take a shot at 50 or 60 (used to practice a lot at 60).

Be ready when the big guys walks by.