• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Northwood Tornado Damage 1 week Later

Paul

Yesterday I was allowed to take a brief auto tour of Northwood ND, a town devistated by a F4 tornado last Sunday. SInce there are too many pictures to post I have posted a Link to a slide show of the 200 images. These are powerful images that show complete destruction of the town. 97% of the structures in town recieved damage.

Northwood ND Tornado Damage

Having lived in St Peter when the tornado of '98 came through I can tell you that although the pictures are very good they do not depict the extent of the damage you see when looking at it in person. Even video that we took at the time does not bring out the damage like seeing it in person. Thanks for sharing Paul! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

What I'm shocked about is the media coverage (or lack there of) in the part of MN I live in of this catostrophe.

I was born and raised in NW MN, spent 25 years up that way, so I pay attention to what happens up there. If I don't pay attention, my parents at least let me hear about it.

I knew there was a tornado warning for that part of ND/MN. It was heading towards Crookston and I talked to my parents on the phone before it even hit Northwood. I went to sleep that night and thats all I remember about that.

I was just up visiting my parents this weekend and thats all the ND stations were covering (1 week later) and I couldn't believe the devastation caused by that tornado. It took me one week to realize what happened. I watch the nightly news and read the Star Trib daily (for the most part) so I may have missed the five minutes they allocated to this story but I still can't believe this isn't making the news more down here.

What is even more hard to believe is that with almost $40million in damage the news tonight says there are some hang ups in Washington to try and get help. 97% of the structures in town were damaged and they want to sit on the red tape wagon.