• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mushrooms

HaywardBound

Just keep mowing them.

Eventually the material will rot out enough where they won't be around anymore.

I'd bet that a bigger reason that you have them right now is the fact we had 2 1/2 weeks where it rain / drizzled / heavy heavy dew every day.

I've got lawns with mushrooms growing (BIG ones) that have never had mushrooms before.

When it dries out again, they'll most likely be gone.

To bad they are not morels. I will only get them when we have alot of rain and they always go away when the ground dries up. The area that they still will pop up when wet is where there was a fair amount of wood in the dirt when I seeded the new lawn 5 years ago.

They are not an indicator of a healthy lawn. It indicates wetness and most likely some sort of decay or fungus (mushroom). Some mushrooms are bad if they show up because they are only there if an otherwise healthy tree starts getting root rot. Its typically a sign of over-watering or in the recent month its cause of too much rain. If you're yard doesn't drain well it will continue to happen.

If it only happens occasionally then I wouldnt consider it a problem. Just mow them over. Mine usually dry out and disappear in a couple days.

Thanks for all the info.

I'm sure it is just the roots rotting from where a large tree used to be. They popped up after we finally started to get rain this summer.

I've had them before in another area near a stump. They all turned black now, so maybe they are done for a while.

I guess I was worried about them spreading throughout the yard.

I do too. There are no tress and there has not been trees there ever or not for a very long time. It happens in June when it is really wet, but they leave semicircles or dead or stunted, discolored grass all year round. Any suggestions to get rid of them?

Its a soil fungus called Fairy Ring.

You can get rid of it. You have to gid it up about 1-2 ft on each side of the ring and about a foot deep. If you spill any of the infected soil on your healthy lawn, you may end up spreading the disease to that area. This would be a very time consuming job to me unless it was just a small circle.

IMO...aerate the area before the grass dies (using a pitch fork will work) to allow water to get through the hydrophobic soil and reach the root zone. Then apply fertilizer as needed to blend your turf into the infected area. (Assuming you have a dark green ring of grass before the grass actually dies).

Another option might be to build up the lower spot in the yard where the water doesnt drain and it gets real wet. I had a low spot in my yard and some old dead wood there also. I filled the area up to grade and re seeded and that seems to have cured the problem as the weater all runs off now.