• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

City Lights of Duluth

Went out last night and tried some night photography. Here are some of my first results. I may head back out tonight and give it another shot.

Blatnik Bridge

blatnikbridgeatnightlu8.jpg

Bayfront Park and Aerial Lift Bridge

bridgeandbayfrontatnighdq3.jpg

Aerial Lift Bridge

liftbridgeatnightfromenmy6.jpg

Blatnik Bridge and Superior

nightlifejg9.jpg

The City

duluthcitylightsgo9.jpg

The starbursts are incidental. It just seems to be the way my lens/filter combo handles certain types of lights. The last shot with all the "starburst" lights in it was shot with the Canon 17-40L with a circular polarizing filter. Not all of the lights in my shots from the evening have that effect. I'm assuming that there is a specific type of light that causes that with the combination. After looking, I also noticed that the shots taken with my 100-400 have some with the same effect, but not as crisp. It could be that I don't have a polarizing filter on that lens or due to the breeze that would occasionally kick up (long exposure with a long focal length). I'm not sure what causes it - maybe others will have more insight.

mcary

I have read in publications that the number of apeture blades in the lens will affect the look of the starburst effect. The number of blades will generally corralate directly with the number of points in the burst. If memory serves me correctly, most of the L lenses will have 8 or more appeture blades were more basic lenses have 5. Any lens can produce the effect with the right light and exposure time (generally long exposures) but they will look different obviously. I am not sure if the filter will have any additional effect but I know some companies make filters specific for the burst effect and it looks like a crosshatch on the filter. They will produce the effect with much faster shutter speeds (I only know because I bought one). I think I am probably rambling on here, but I clearly remember that section of the book I was reading because I found it interesting. Not saying the whole book wasn't but at the time it was moreso than the rest.

Tom

Thanks for the info Tom! Based on that, I took a look at the lens info online and the different images taken with each one. The 17-40L has 7 aperture blades and after inspecting the full resolution images taken with that lens there were distinctly 14 points to each star. 14 being a multiple of 7 could have been produced due to some effect with the polarizer. The images taken with the 100-400L which has 8 aperture blades all had 8 points to the each star which fits. I'm assuming that your spot on with your assessment and the polarizer may play some role. I didn't get out again tonight, but next time I'll throw my polarizer on the 100-400 and see if that plays a role in the number of points with each lens. laugh.gif

Tom is right on the money about the star effect, though I think the 17-40 has seven blades if memory serves me correctly. I could be wrong about that. I find it a desirable trait in many of these lenses.

Steve,

I wouldn't mind spending some time up your way as well. Maybe we should swap houses for a week or two. You and your wife can enjoy Duluth again for a short time and I can sneak out back and photograph some of your birds. grin.gif

If anyone wants an old school setting for photos in a kitchen, let me know. The walls, cabinets, and floor in mine are original from 1962. wink.gif LOL. Don't have the money to redo them yet. I wouldn't mind trading for a place up north for a week.