• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"Best" Archery Target

Without spending a million dollars, what is a great target to buy? I just got carbon arrows for the first time and have not shot them yet. Beman 400s. I bought a three blade Muzzy broadhead set that came with a dull "practice" broadhead. I'm shooting 100 grains and my bow is set for 55 pounds. I do not shoot every day. I've been online at Cabela's reading reviews and many models like The Black Hole, The Cube, the Morel Carbon 6-Shooter had overall poor reviews. Even The Block had some detractors, plus the price for those things is awful! Cabela's Arrowhawk had generally good reviews, but the target is only 11" deep. If broadheads and practice broadheads tear these targets apart, I'll just use field tips. What do you all have to say?

I have two different targets that I use. One is a Morrell Yellow jacket that I have been pretty happy with for both field tips and broadheads. The one I really like is a bag type with filling that has like cut up nylon sheets in it. The target I cannot remember the name of but it has taken tons of shots and still looks good. You can pull a carbon arrow out with two fingers with a field tip on. This bag type has been a no-no for me with broadheads though.

Yellowjacket Broadhead Only Target and Yellowjacket Bag Target are the only two listed in the Cabela's catalog. I'm planning on hitting a Gander Mountain today also. I plan on shooting mostly field tips and hopefully the dull practice broadhead mentioned earlier. What happens if you shoot field tips into the Yellowjacket Broadhead Only block target? Thanks tons.

What happens when you shoot a FP into a broadhead only target? Generally they are a BEAR to pull out. And I mean BEAR!

Generally, even though you don't like too, you really should invest in two targets. It is kind of like playing then entire golf course with a 5 iron if you don't. You WILL get better life and easier general use if you get specific targets. Myself, I really like the morel yellowjackets broadhead only target. It does hold up well to broadheads. And I like a bag target for fieldpoints. I have a cabelas brand for that. Nothing fancy. But it works and stopps well. Easy arrow removal. Cheap too! If you start to wear a spot out, just throw it on the ground and walk around on it to redistribute the stuffing.

But, if I were ONLY going to buy one target and I needed it to last. I would have to go with the BLOCK 4x4. It will hold up better to multi use than most other targets that I know of. It is spendy though and field points will not pull out as easy as a bag target.

If I were you I would just go buy a cabelas or gander branded Broadhead only target, and a bag target for field points. It will save you money and effort in the long run.

I think it would be easier and cheaper to buy an economy target. On a related note. If you get a bag target, don't buy one of their fancy, expensive stands. You can make one a lot cheaper out of 2x4s. I did this by framing a square out of 2x4s and then screwing two eye hooks into the top to hang the bag target on. Cost me $2 in lumber and screws versus the $20-$30 plus the store bought stand would. Plus its heavy duty and tough to knock down.

I use the cheeper bag targets. And as long as I take them out of the weather each time I shoot I get quite a few years out of them.. thousands of shots! For broad heads, I'm cheep.. I just get a couple of big blocks of styrophome(sp) and shrink wrap them together.

I made a homemade target from a bulk seed bag from a local seed dealer and stuffed it with thousands of plastic bags from walmart(don't use shrink wrap).

It's huge, cheap and arrows pull out with 2 fingers most of the time.

Don't use a broadhead on it, get a designated "broadhead" target instead.

Block for field points and Yellow Jacket for broadheads. Don't use the Yellow jacket for fp's cause you won't be able to get them out and using the Block for broadhead it won't last.