• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Kayak registration required?

Tipp is correct. You buy a new license every 3 yrs. Don't need to renew until your current out-of-state license expires though. Go to a licensing station with your boats info and they will help you out. You'll need make model and the Hull ID number. should be stamped on the boat or look on your old license.

As a non-resident for a trip or are you moving here Metzie?

If you're just coming here for a trip, its not required. If you live in MN then you are required to register your boat even if its a canoe or kayak.

hey guys I have a similar question. I acquired an older Coleman "scanoe" yes the spelling is correct. It's green with a square back. My neighbor gave it to me and it used to be his grandmothers from her cabin in Canada. I can't find a serial number and there was not title for it. It's about 15+ years old and I want to license it this week for fishing. SO my question is can I still walk to DMV and possibly get it registered and a title???? Help with this soon because I'm going to DMV during my lunch break.

thanks,

MR confused.gif

KMR is incorrect. If you plan on dropping your boat in the water for any reason it needs to be registered. Boats use water, cars on the road, sled or ATV etc. You need to register and title your boat. Its a 3yr license for around $35.

Meatrun, I do know of the scanoe. The Hull ID number should be stamped into the gunwale near the bow or try to find the manufacturer sticker with weight capacities. For your boat I owuld look in the very front of the boat on the inside. It might be near the edge of where the insulation is.

Meat run Yes you can register it I have 14' boat no tags its registered in my name under make it says unknown,Ser.# none was easy,But in Willamr Mn. its a small registration station,and their gettin to know me. cool.gifAlso I think the scanoe was stamped on in ink on stern it most likly faded by now!

Good to see this was straightened out. Did this change or something within the last 10 years? I remember taking my watercraft safety test when I was 12 and I am pretty sure that there was something about this in there and you didnt have to register unless you were fishing. I also heard this from my uncle. I guess I should re-read the regs. Either way, I will have a combo boat so its registered.

powerstroke/sparcebag,

thanks for the help. I did make it over to the local DMV and without a serial number and info I did manage to get it registered and it only cost me $24 for a 3 year license. When I get home I'll look for the spot you guys mentioned and see if it's there or wore off. Kudos to you and this HSOforum with so many knowledgable folks willing to help much appreciated!!!

Now I'm looking forward to my first voyage with my boy first canoe trip/ride infront of the dock, this should be exciting. He's 3 and half and I'm half tempted to duc tape him to his seat (just kidding of course).

Later,

mr grin.gif

mr I hope you guys have a great day on the water.

KMR, I'm not sure when the regs changed, I just know thats the way it is now. I've had my canoe registered for 12yrs and I had to register it the first time just for rec use so who knows. I wasn't trying to make a big deal, I just wanted to make sure we get the right info on the site.

Have fun on the water!!

when you go to register a canoe or kayak is there any discussion of ownership? the old 17 footer canoe I got from a friend of mine was his GF's dead husbands. I assume as long as you have a serial # and its not stolen they give you a sticker?

Are you sure you need to register a duck boat. I guess I was under the impression that they did not need to be registered. If so - I don't know how I will describe a couple of the old homemade boats I have when they ask for type of watercraft.

You describe it the same way I described my homemade trailer. They will ask how big the boat is, is it motorized, what is it made out of?

People make homemade canoes too. All watercraft must be registered. If you're really unsure call the License Office in your county.

Dirtking and ?? years back if it had no motor,was propeled by oars paddles,there was no registration or fees,I left mn in 1970 canoes then needed no registration,some had a state sticker for crossing into Canada for ID.Now ya need it,I just bought a 9'6"Kayak got it registered when purchased.

I did a little research and according to the 2006 Minnesota Waterfowl Supplemental -

"A duck boat does not have to be licensed during the waterfowl hunting season for waterfowl hunting only"

So I guess you need to register anything that floats UNLESS you are only going to be using it for a duck boat.