• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I need to fix my Leaky Aluminum boat

Lowblazah

I got a few leaky rivets and a iss-poor patch job that need to be fixed however they are all un-access-able from the inside of the boat.

I was thinking about using an aluminum brazing rod to just fill the hole and gaps...any tried this?

Anyone got any other advice...I'm not very skilled in welding nor do I have any welding equipment so thats why I thought the brazing rods would work well.

I have seen a few bad idea repairs in my time, your idea wont work either. The best way to repair it is just to gain access to the leaking rivets drill them out and put new ones in. There are some cheesey kits out there to repair this, but the only for sure way is to do it right. You can almost access any part of your boat in an hour, unless its under the gas tank. The floors are made to come up, its not that hard.

If you are not good at welding, brazing is not too far off.

You have to be sure there's nothing on the inside of the repair, any foam, carpet, or flamable part will set boat on fire.

This isnt much help cause I cant remember the product!!It was a sealer made for metals,it was in spray cans went on white dries clear,a few years back I had the same problem.I kept lookin for something! I yet have the boat and it isnt leaking at all! The only places I have access to are Menards & homeDepot without 60mi. drive so one has it.Talk to paint & hardware Dept. You'll still need to get to inside floor,but its better than riviting!I used enamel reducer to clean before application.Sorry I cant name product! confused.gif

You don't want to fill a rivet hole because its holding something together. If you can't get behind it to buck in new rivets then use a closed-end pop rivet. Normally a rivet swells and makes it seal. If your hole is corroded or out of round then making that seal is tough to do. If drilling the hole one size bigger to match a new rivet won't work then use silicon in the hole and then pop rivet.

As far as the fixing a your patch it depends so a picture would help.

Quote:

You can almost access any part of your boat in an hour, unless its under the gas tank. The floors are made to come up, its not that hard.

Well I think if you were looking at my boat you might change your opinion. The leaky rivet is under my livewell and the patch job is directly under my steering console. It could probably be done however an hour is a grave under statement.

So you guys dont think this product would work? Check out this video...

Aluminum Repair

The problem with welding or brazing on an aluminum boat is that aluminum is a very good conductor of heat. Too good in fact. Heat dissipates before you can get the weld to flow on properly. Its about impossible to get any strength. Sure, you see demo's of brazing on aluminum cans, but thats a small surface and it all becomes hot enough to weld. A boat is a different story. Riveting is the only way to fix it right. The best would be to take the time and dismantle the boat, however to save yourself the job of dismantling the boat, just cut a patch of aluminum plate bigger than your screwed up spot, and then pop rivet it on with blind solid rivets. Put lots of mastic or some marine silicone between the patch and hull. Good luck.

Your probably right...actually you are right...I suppose this would be a good time for me to redo the wood and carpet in the boat too I guess.

Da r n you people for making me do it the right way.

The brazing as you saw on video involves a lot of heat, enough to melt aluminum, consequently anything behind the damaged area will melt or burn.

I know removing the parts is a long job, that's why it's expensive at a shop, it's all labor, but it's the only way to do it right, whether you weld, rivet, screw, solder, braze or glue...

If its leaking down the center of a seam it will have foam tape to seal the seam, if you heat that up it will do more damage. The only way to go is to do it right.

I did say most boats ( I think), anyhow once your started its usually easier then it looks. If the floor is pop riveted in once you start drilling the holes it goes quick, as for the counsel, just remove the minium and slide it over, without unhooking anything. I used to do warranty leak repairs on a local aluminum boat company. Its easy once you set your mind to it. Good luck, if you dont want to get involved in it now, you can delay it until the off season with some of that sealer spray mentioned above.

where does a guy get replacement BOAT-HULL rivets. (I have a ton of pop rivets but they do not look the same)

With these boat rivets fit in my pneumatic rivet gun? Or will I have to get a special tool for them?

I would go to a boat dealer, the ones from the manufacturer are installed with an air hammer with a special bit on it then have some one hold a piece of steal on the inside, the relacement rivets will come flat, and you just need to use a regular hammer, and have some one hold a chunk of steel on the inside, you hammer it untill it flattens out and compresses tight. They are cheep, .20 a piece about.