• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help taking pictures

I do not have a high buck camera, its a Panasonic DMC-LZ3. Its a 5 megapixel, 6x zoom. Am I doing something wrong or is the camera just not capable of taking a nice picture when you zoom? All the pictures I take when I zoom out are so distorted you can barely tell what it was I was shooting. Any suggestions?

Check your owner's manual. I'm not familiar with that model, but some point-and-shoots drop down to ultra-low resolution using digital zoom, so the pic you end up with doesn't have enough pixels to do much except display it small on a computer screen at low resolution.

The image clearly is pixelated, and looks very low res.

So, please check your manual to find out if your model knocks down the resolution at max zoom. It's a different model than X-Tackleman's.

If not, then check to see which resolution (size) you have selected on your camera.

I would also turn off the digital zoom. Using the digital zoom will degrade the photo to some degree. When I viewed the exif info, I noticed you had it turned on. Also, it must have been a fairly dark day when you took the shot, considering the shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Digital zoom may even degrade the photo more in dark conditions.

I just read through the reviews on Amazon.com and one owner claims he took his camera, the same one you mention, on a safari to Kenya. He had great results using the combined optical and digital zoom. He mentioned a little grain, but that was it. You may have a defective camera.

I know on my Nikon, I can zoom in fully using the opticl zoom, but if I continue to try to zoom in it will let me use the digi zoom to get closer. I think that is what is happening with your camera.

It takes your zoomed in photo and zooms it in further using the digi zoom. This takes the clear(er) photo you had with optical zoom and zooms in further without changing a pixel count, so you are only getting closer to the picture.

Its like holding a pic and then putting it really close to your face. You haven't made the pic bigger, only brought it closer and then you see the imperfections.

While I am not familair with the particular camera I smell faulty product here. First, thoroughly read the manual and check ALL settings. Then maybe consider returning the camera. These things, especially low end, are pretty much foolproof in my somewhat limited experience. ooo.gif