• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Battery

Lund4Fish

Unfortunately it's time to replace a couple batteries for my boats 24 volt trolling motor system. I was looking at a battery made by Exide, that Walmart sells for $56.00, that's 115 amp hrs and 160 minute reserve. I thought that was a pretty good deal. Does anyone have any feedback on these? I've heard that the Trojans are supposed to be the best, but I'm not sure I'm really up for paying $130.00 per battery at this time. Any other suggestions for a decent battery that's priced reasonable?

A lot of people will tell you that you get what you pay for. Well I'm through 3 years and going into my 4th with my "cheapo" walmart exide. So far it works great and still gets me through a full weekend on a charge. Even if it takes a dump on me this year I think I can afford the $15 per year this one has cost me so far.

Run out of gas 1 time in the middle of the lake or have motor issues on a windy day, then tell me how good the walmart brands are. I've got trojan, so I have a couple less lures.

I hope you dont mind me jumping in here smile.gif but I've been having the same problem as you. Do those "cheapo" batteries let you run your trolling motor all day? What kind of performance do they have?

I have a couple of those cheapo batteries. A 42# Minnkota. On Sunday I was out in SD fishing walleye. I started at 8AM and finished aroun 3PM. Going with the wind I ran the motor on 5. Going against the wind I ran on 10. At about 1PM the motor wouldn't pull the boat against the wind anymore.

Interstates are great batteries.

I have a Duralast marine battery and they work very well for me. You can get them at autozone and are not that expensive as well as being one of the top rated batteries on the market. The main thing to keeping a lead acid battery in good shape is to always charge it after you use it and during the off-season. Lead acid batts do not like shock or vibration. I learned this the hard way. My battery now rides in the truck instead of in the back of my WC-16. The pounding killed it within a couple months. It helps to find a battery that hasn't been sitting on the store shelf for a long time.