• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hi all,

I'm new here but would love to get to know some other women who share my liking of the great outdoors and fishing. I admit I'm not very knowledgeable about fishing and would love to learn more so am also hoping for some guidance. I have a cabin on Big Sandy and will be doing a lot of fishing there this summer. Anyone fish Big Sandy? If you have any information on the lake or pointers for fishing I'd appreciate it.

Lisa

Welcome to FM, Lisa! There are not too many of us women on this site, yet. Don't be afraid to post questions in the areas you are most interested in. There are many helpful people here, who are willing to share their knowledge. Have fun exploring this site!

I can't help you much on Big Sandy, since I stick pretty close to home in the summer. Good luck!

Carolyn

"fishinchicks"

Always nice to see more women interested in fishing. I have only fished Big Sandy a few times but enjoyed it. We had our Women Anglers of Minnesota Tournament on that lake a number of years ago. Despite everyones skin and hair turning orange it was a fun lake to fish. Great spot to have a cabin! I have one near Aitkin on Cedar Lake.

Hi Lisa! I am a fellow Lisa too who loves to fish. We have a cabin north of Grand Rapids so I can't help you with info for Big Sandy but wanted to welcome you from one "newbie Lisa to another". The only advice that seems to work for me in the summer is if the fish aren't biting change your rig or jig! Also reading the forums on what's working on what lake is really helpful. People are so knowledgeable on this site.

Lisa

Welcome to FM Lisa!! Here's a little tip for ya.. DON"T be afraid to post questions in other forums,because someone here has info on your lake and we are all willing to shere it, that's why we are here!! I'm not even sure exactly where your lake is but there HAS to be a forum for that area of Minnesota ,so try posting your question there and lemme know how it goes!! Once again Welcome and good fishing!!

Basssmasher aka Tim E. grin.gif

Thanks everyone for such a nice welcome. For those of you that aren't familiar Big Sandy is right outside of McGregor and about a 1/2 hour from Aitken. I did find a McGregor thread I'll post on as they have info. on Big Sandy.

I'm a novice at fishing. That being said I outfish my husband and stepfather but still need help. I learn quickly and want to learn more.

I would love to find some kind of women's fishing club or a co-ed fishing club. Something that offers friendships, companionship, mentoring and guidance to a new fishermen. Does anyone know of any clubs? I live in the Twin Cities metro area and have the cabin at Big Sandy. My parents live in Brainerd so I get up there some too. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Lisa,

Welcome to fishing MN. My folks have a place on Big Sandy too. It's a great lake. Once you find the walleyes it's a great time along with the pan fishing in Atitkin Lake. I was just up there the past weekend. The ice is still their, can't wait for ice out and opener! For Walleyes we usually use bottom bouncers with leaches. Since the lake is so dark bright colors usually work the best. As for the pan fish in Aitkin lake the good old bobber with a worm seems to work the best. Good Luck fishing!!

Katie

Not to give away any secrets, but the PIKE in Aitkin lake can be pretty amazing. We've caught many large fish there in the past. We used to go to Big Sandy for opener until all the resorts sold off to developers and timeshares.

Speaking of Pike, and secrets....

We are getting into the monster pike up here on Rainy Lake! They are in the bays warming up and eating almost anything in sight. Its a lot of fun. Have to take the conoe out and may have to bust a little ice, but thats part of the adventure.

Hey Katie,

I was up at the cabin this last weekend. Neighbor said ice-out was April 22. I'm looking forward to the opener as I'll be up there searching for those Walleyes. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely try the bottom bouncers and bright colors!

Let me know how you do when you get back from the opener. Maybe some day we can hit the lake for some fishing!

Lisa

Lisa it's a pleasure to meet you and so exciting to have you on here. When I first joined this forum, I found that it was more male-dominated than female. Now, does that make sense? *laughing* Anywho, I don't know alot about your area, but I do know that I'm getting into some tournament fishing. Have you ever considered?