• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

red fox on the hunt

I took a break from photo processing to head out the Echo Trail this afternoon. Didn't really think I'd find much during the swing season, but you just never know, I guess.

Between the Hegman Lake and Angleworm Lake entry points, I found Foxy Loxy on the hunt. The light was from the side, and I didn't have a lot of time before I was spotted, but here we are . . . .

Canon Digital Rebel XT, Canon 100-400L IS at 400mm, iso200, f8, handheld

Hmmm, what's back there?

1/1000

looking-back-left.jpg

Listening closely

1/800

attention-left.jpg

Zeroed in

1/1250

focused-hunt-left.jpg

Leap and a miss

1/1000

leap-hunt-left.jpg

Hey, who let YOU get this close?

1/800

at-camera-rock.jpg

I KNOW you can't catch me. See ya. grin.gif

1/800

last-look-back.jpg

This time it was quite a bit more luck than skill. Sometimes that's how it goes. Would I rather be lucky than good? Yep, every time. I was wearing camo on top but dark sweatpants down below. Hunkering down to Loxy's level to get more intimate shots, I could have been wearing blaze orange bottoms and it wouldn't have mattered.

The luck part? The wind was blowing straight from me to the fox. He knew I was there the whole time and didn't seem to mind. The big buck shot on my Web site was the same close-range downwind deal. I can't explain it, and I don't even try anymore. Maybe cameras don't smell as threatening as gunpowder. Sometimes you're just given a present, in this case an Easter gift. grin.gif

STF - just great shots - you did catch him not paying attention or at least not too concerned. How close did you get 10 yards, 20 yards?? I guess I would like to know how close you need to get to get shots like those.

Thanks,

Thanks, Jonny.

I called in lots of fox to within 50 yards and much closer out in North Dakota while hunting as a younger man, but in the three years I've been trying to call in predators here by Ely I haven't had a single one come in that I saw.

Both foxes, the one here and the one on my Web site, were in high-traffic areas where they were used to vehicles. The one on the Web site was sitting 20 yards off Hwy. 21 between here and Babbitt, and I happened upon it while I was walking home in the breakdown lane after my vehicle broke down, and I had my camera backpack on my back.

The one here looked up when our vehicle pulled over and kept on hunting, even when I slowly walked to within 20 yards and squatted down low to make the images from his own level.

It's enough to make a guy throw his Scotch screaming rabbit game call in the trash! confused.gif

Oh well, I'll settle for what I can get, whether it's the way it's "supposed" to happen or not. It's not like I can complain about this, right? grin.gif