• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Old town Penobscot

Hi guys, a friend is selling me his 16' Penobscot. This seems to be a fairly popular canoe out there so was just wondering what it's owners have to say about it, good and bad. How does it compare to other canoes you've been in? It's primary usage will be Boundary Waters trips.

Never tried one, but I've heard they are a good all-around canoe. Probably not as fast as the Minnesota II, or Bell Northwoods - I'd compare it to the Wenonah Spirit II or the Souris River Quetico 16.

The Old Town will have a higher payload capacity, cost less, and weigh more in comparison to a Souris River kevlar. Some give and take obviously. You won't be disappointed with the Old Town. We use them in the 17' size every year. Had a tree land on one of the "neighbors"

canoes in Quetico a couple years ago and we were able to get the tree off (barely)of the canoe. It did not collapse the canoe and worked fine for the rest of their two week trip. That is tough. One day will come when the Kevlar will look real good, when you are carrying a 20lb less canoe. In the meantime, have fun with it.

WG

Tippman, I had a old town canoe for a while. Took to the bwca only once, it worked great, shot some rapids with it. Never had to worry about it leaking,if I hit some rocks.

Only drawback was the weight, the 17FT was 84lbs. on a long portage (175 to 260 rods) it really stunk. but I sold because of my divorce. I'm how thinking of buying another, for paddling the mississippi r.

The weight is actually a plus for me because I'm used to a 70-some pound aluminum canoe. This canoe is Royalex and weights only 58 lbs. I can fairly easily pick it up from the center portage beam and lift to my shoulders. With the aluminum you couldn't shoulder it that way.

My other interest is the Souris River Quetico 17 but that is probably well into the future. Plus I believe the royalex is more durable.

Tippman, you're right on about the royalex Penobscot...much lighter than the old town discovery, which is made from the same plastic as a coleman. I've paddled/fished out of all three, and the Penobscot is a great all around choice. For me, fishing comes first, and I love the plastics for that. I have a kevlar Sawyer now as well, but I still like the plastics if I don't have to carry it too far, although that 58 lb Penobscot ain't bad.

Tippman -

Did you buddy sell his canoe yet? I would like to track him down. I am in the market for a used canoe and would like to talk to him. tgparts32 @ hotmail ((Contact Us Please)) com

Thanks!

I'm probably getting it tomorrow actually. I had an aluminum canoe for sale in the For Sale adds but am holding it for someone who can't get it until the end of the month, I will post if this doesn't hold up.