• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

OPEN WATER REPORTS SPRING 2007

Well there you have it, first reports of open water fishing go here.

My first report is that bullheads are being caught, though not a lot at Wright's marina in Oswego according to the guy at B+W bait in Oswego. Jarod and Rock got a few small perch in Phoenix by the locks there I guess. I went to Phoenix on tuesday and the lock is unfrozen about 200 feet from the lock, but the good spot on the end is still flooded by the river. This is a great spot for early perch in April, and also good area to take kids if they want to go fishing as well. The water was very cloudy when I was there. If I was to fish it I would use worms or minnows on a snelled hook with a small spinner on it, like a silver one with the red beads. Would love to try the lake Lee was talking about, but never fished it before.

TO Tim

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to jumpstart this thread!!! Dad and I were on the water at daybreak today, started at Cayuga inlet looking for some lake-run rainbows. Creek was perfect - nice flow and off color a tad. I hit this nice 18 incher shortly later...

dsc00651ez5.jpg

Caught a few in the 12 inch range also. Fished my way up to dad, he had gotten a few small ones. We worked our way back to the jeep and he conected with this nice 18 incher...

dsc00652oa1.jpg

Hit another spot and we both got a 12 incher and I landed a nice 19. A fair number of guys around and not much fish activity for most of em. I saw a guy get a solid 22-23 incher and dad saw someone with one on a stringer. Some news paper guy from Ithaca interviewed us and he hadn't talked to anyone with a fish?

We left there and hit a small brownie stream on the way home. They hadnt stocked it this year but we got 3 12-13 inchers that heldover from last year plus we both missed a few. Our legs feel like we are wearing waterlogged mickey mouse boots - its naptime...

dsc00653mc8.jpg

Jay,

Nice catch there, RJ and I are going to try our luck next week end on some trout fishing still planning on the place to go.

By the way sweet job on that knife handle I always wanted to give it a try but never seem to have the time.

RJ suprised me this afternoon I went to the Giant Market this afternoon and while I was gone he went down the creek behind our house with his ice rod and a small mistertwister

on it he had a nice 13 inch bullhead in the bucket when I got back home grin.gif

Way to start the thread Vassil's. smile.gif Kicking it off in style as usual... Franky - way to go getting that Eskimo going. Todd if you tried to call me during the meeting I had to shut my cell off yesterday.

Trickster - They stocked both branches of the Owego creek, not sure about the Nanticoke. They will be doing most Tioga county streams next week. If your interested i'll let you know where and when.

We are gonna hit the inlet again tomorrow - looking for one of those 2ft bows...

Nice job guys on the trout I havent fished for trout in about 6 or 7 yrs figure that one out I have chittenango creek about 100yrds behind my house I guess I just lost intrest. Tim I forgot you had a meeting I just wanted to let you know I found some of those 1/12 oz gold,silver and silvergreen mix Kastmasters grin.gif I didnt know if you needed any?

Yep very good read on that article Jay, the key is pinpointing those fish and keeping it right in there faces, great job.. What's with the freaking libs comments at the end of the story, (Contact Us Please). Jay talked to Z sunday he had a bit of a flood in his basement about 6" of water worth, he's doing o.k. but he still like you pretty much bushwhacked, (Contact Us Please) shame too... grin.gif

Todd - easy when you mention Kastmasters, Frankies listening grin.gif. I have heard good things about those nickle greens, gimme a call tonight. Yeah I had to turn the cell off for the darn class, the kicker is the president forgot we were in class and they ate without us, I'll be trimming $10 off my ASA dues this season.

Anyhow guys I gotta tell ya about the neatest thing, Craig who I met from Z and have known for about 5 years now or so icefished with us on C and Lake Z, so coming back from the umpire class Sunday I stopped at Okie Dokies (Craig's Place)on Rt 365 and stopped in for a fish sandwich and a froth. We get to bsing about fishing and stuff and I ask him what he used to do before the restaurant and he said he managed Friendly's franchise stores in central New York and my next question to Craig was., "So you knew my Uncle Pete...."

All of a sudden you couldn't hear a pin drop...

Craig and Trese's jaw dropped.... blush.gif My uncle was a vice president for Friendly's before they did there major canning about 10 years ago it was a shame too he was with them for (Contact Us Please) near 30 years, moved all the way up from a an icecream scooper in Pittsfield, MA... Anyhow Craig managed like 10 Friendly's and my uncle Pete had like 50 stores under his control so Craig and Pete spent a lot of time together hunting, fishing and on the road along with my Uncle Pete's best friend growing up Jim Long. It was cool cause Craig's wife Trese managed a Friendly too that's how her and Craig met. So they both had stories to tell of my Uncle and by the time I left I had 3 froth's in me, so the story goes. Craig will be checking in soon so let's give him a warm welcome he's one of the hardest working icefisher's over 50 guys I know Tank and Franky saw him cutting the dump out of C a couple of times this year, especially shallow. wink.gif

Just goes to show you it a small world. grin.gif

Timmy - the libs got in an argument about the begining of the article where the guy mentions fishing at 5am or something. The other guy was upset cuz you cant start till daybreak.

We hit the inlet this am and nothing. Did see a guy with a solid 25incher. We fished our way back home and got some nice holdover browns and real nice native brookies...

dsc00132np0.jpg

dsc00133bm7.jpg

dsc00135sz6.jpg

I think that dog likes fishing as much as we do. Those border collies are a riot, my friend had one that played fetch till we couldn't throw the stick or ball anymore.

Big O finally losing some ice on the north shore. Called the guy about renting boats soon and whether he had minnows yet or not. I am going to offer to help him get his boats out of the mud and cleaned out so we can get at those perch soon. Last year this time of year we were knocking the hell out of them. I guess he had a little snow damage done to the boats, as they were not stored properly. Perch soon Timmy, looking at next week to start looking for them, string up those 2 poles. I have all the hooks + bobbers all brand new from the bait shop, hopefully the fatheads will be ready as well.

TO Tim

Finally got this computer fixed after a couple viruses invaded this hard drive and lost a little imformation. See that the ice is gone off Oneida on the east end. Nice trout there Jay and John. Still have quite a bit of snow and water laying in the yard. The ducks love it.

Going out tomorrow morning on Oneida for them sumos, Timmy i'll give you a call , so you might have to trip out on Sunday if the bite is on. Called the guy today to have a boat ready for 7 AM. The ice is almost gone, and the bay I need to get into is wide open.

DEC put the nets in today, so if anyone wants to see the eyes up-close with the kids, this next week + till may will be great.

TO Tim

WEnt out yesterday on my perch spot, was open water on friday, but 1/2 inch ice on saturday morning. We went through the skim ice with the boat to the other side and did some ice breaking , but found no perch. Then we tripped over to the river in Phoenix and caught a ton of perch there , but they were mostly 9-1o inch ones, but enough for dinner anyway. Things are gonna warm up this week, so i'm sure next weekend will be favorable for the perch on O.

TO Tim

Hey anyone got some info for the perch on O ?? I've never been, but just can't wait to get the boat and the kid out tomorrow!! I plan on launching from the state southshore launch, and if there's no ice i can get anywhere pretty fast!! I don't know about the Ice either, but maybe take a drive tonight? any info would be great!!

The bays are open and saw some1 that was marking fish saturday, The bay I fish was covered 1/2 inch of ice, but now is wide open. The perch are there, now it's just a matter of getting out I think. I'm taking my son out tomorrow and will post pics/results tomorrow.

TO Tim

looked like most of O was open last Saturday. Gotalimit sent me a pic of Canaderago from today. . .it is completely iced over except open water in front of the creek!! Go figure. I'm in New Mexico right now and temps tomorrow will be low 80s . . .snow in the mountains though!

Went to south shore launch yesterday, and it looked.......great?? if i were a seal or polar bear! there was like a big Iceberg beyond the Island, wierd! Ice pilled up everywhere. and checked out sylvan beach area, water is way up in town and the canal, little Ice out on and by the pier.. And i guess i'll keep the boat in the drive way for a few more day's..... sigh... Might have to hit the steams.

Anyone know much about Skaneateles lake??? heard they've been hitting pearch, but i'm guessing they ain't Seneca size?? I know the lake is full open, and i guess they opened the state launch last week, but i've never been on the lake.... looks too pricey!!

And Franky..... New Mexico?? do they even have water there?? No chicken Wings For sure!!

Way to go Tank and Dark Cloud nice report again. Hey bud check your email.

Franky - Hurry back safe, saw some more Frenzies on sale. Your gonna miss the 3-5" of snow expected here this evening frown.gif

Thanks for the offer Tim during the week but I can't and my weekend coming up is already shot. frown.gif Momma's outta town next weekend and Saturday I have a full slate with Amanda and Sunday is the last day of umpire training.

Fished with Todd and did get a few perch this afternoon on the Big O. Bite was never hot today and we just couldn't find a consistent stack of fish but we did catch 20 nice ones on minnows. Had a great time with Todd and man was he ripping not fish but gas blush.gif Here's the pics...

1000480hn6.jpg

1000481wo9.jpg

1000482uw5.jpg

1000484gk2.jpg

1000485kx1.jpg

Sheephead gotta eat too..

1000486fj5.jpg

Todd's dandy..

1000487ym8.jpg

1000488ft7.jpg