• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat carpet removal?

fishin58

I am looking at ripping the carpet out of my boat. What is the best method? I dont think the carpet will be that dificult but I could be wrong. I am more worried about the glue. What is the best way to remove this? My ideas have been scraping, pressure washing/heated.. or with some kind of chemical? What is the best method?

In 20 years of doing this we've only ran across one tool that consistantly works. Elbow grease. Sometimes you get lucky and most of it will come off with the carpet. Also, sometimes, depending on the type of glue, an autobody grinder will work pretty well, but most of the time it's a putty knife that produces the best results. crazy.gif

If you're going to re-carpet, usually leaving glue residue is no problem; unless bits of the old carpet have seperated and remain in the hardened glue. Normally theres just the trowel marks and glue residue less than 1/8 inch thick, and when you reapply the new glue it fills in between the grooves/rough surface of the old glue with no problem. Don't get into any chemical removers; if you feel theres too much residue, then it's scraper time:(

Thanks guys for your imput..I ripped up a big section in the back and there isnt a lot of glue left.. but I am looking at putting down the herculiner... following a redesign of my boat..but would a pressure washer work to get off the remainder of glue?

Never tried it, but I would guess no.That outdoor adhesive is tough stuff. It'll clog sandpaper in a hurry, but if you don't mind going thru some, thats what I'd try after scraping off as much as I could.