• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Late Ice + Selective Harvest...

The Late Ice Period is amost upon us. There will soon be a mad rush of Panfish to the shallows and we as fisher people will follow them there. This is a time of the year when Panfish are susceptible to over harvest. Some of the best fishing occurs this time of the year and we as sportsmen need to remember to practice Selective Harvest. I know it's ok to take fish home to eat, I love a fresh meal too, but it is all too easy to take more fish than we actually need. It is also just as important to release the bigger fish to preserve the future of good fishing.

Have a great end to the Ice fishing season. laugh.gif

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Good point Corey! I enjoyed your company this weekend on the ice, we did some selective harvesting too! grin.gif

Friends w fish

bass.jpg

bigslabforjack.jpg

mitchslabb.jpg

coryslab.jpg

I had to get into the action with a slab too! :mrgreen:

MTlunker.jpg

One thing I like about this area is the terrain , scenery, and the big trains rolling through...

freighttrain.jpgmoretrains.jpg

fishinbythetracks.jpg

a couple Crappodiles

lobystoni.jpg

crappiemagnetjig.jpg

My harvest for the day

*deleted* dead fish pic! wink.gif

New ice angler adam with some of his first iced crappies!

adamcrappie1.jpg

adams2crappie.jpg

Adam with GEM camp director Dave Lindmark

daveandadam.jpg

I thanks the Lord for another wonderful day on the water with friends!

Tracks.jpg

backwatersunset.jpg

Very good topic Corey. Selective Harvest is very important. Now, I like to take home some fish for a meal just let everyone else, but I let the larger fish go and keep the smaller ones. Late ice especially, the larger pannies will school up and its not uncommon to sit over a pod of trophy-size fish and pick them off one by one. Gotta let the big fish go so the lake can sustain a healthy population and continue to produce large fish.

So, let's go out and enjoy the Late Ice Pannie Bonanza but please keep in mind Selective Harvest as well.

Good luck out there and let's see some pictures of those late ice bulls and slabs! smile.gif

We all know the old stories about how people used to catch all the big Bluegills they wanted. Now they scratch their heads and wonder why there aren't any good sized Bluegills in the lake. Bluegills are very sensitive and stunting is a common problem. Both in the metro and the plague of stunted fish lakes is spreading statewide. It's easy to see the metro bubble where it's difficult to find big Bluegills. This isn't always the case because there seems to be some exceptions (private or remote lakes). Lakes that don't see mush fishing pressure for a period of time all of a sudden produce good sized fish. But if the word gets out and the hammer-a-thon happens and we look around and say the lake must be going through cycles. confused.gif Kind of interesting when you step back and look at the big picture.

Avid Muskie fishermen look at a 50" fish as being a trophy, a goal to strive for. Some will fish a whole season only to be able to pick up 1 or 2 (if any) trophys (and Muskies are protected for a good period of the season). Trophy Bluegills aren't much different. 10" Bull Bluegills are as hard if not harder to find and catch. It's interesting that in this state it is becoming easier to catch a trophy Muskie than it is to find a true trophy Bluegill. Catch and release practices for Muskies is expected. Good angling ethics have contributed to the states quality of fishing for these fish and I feel the same way about trophy class Panfish.

If there was a note at the access of lakes that hold trophy potential Panfish and we as anglers respected the fisheries by being selective about the fishery and releasing the big Panfish. This would make for better fishing in the future.

Getting back to the topic at hand. If we just do what we can and try and promote releasing of trophy potential Panfish there is no doubt that we will be able to catch future trophy Panfish closer to home. Selective Harvest is a good way to accomplish this.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Quote:

If there was a note at the access of lakes that hold trophy potential Panfish and we as anglers respected the fisheries by being selective about the fishery and releasing the big Panfish. This would make for better fishing in the future.

How about you tell me which lakes have trophy panfish and I'll post a note for you.

I support selective harvest, and limits. I do however get a little annoyed when people like yourself who fish 5 nights/days a week and are successful at it, try to lay a guilt trip on other anglers. Some anglers only get out every so often and aren't always successful and I don't care what season it is if my freezer is empty, as it is now, I have no guilt about keeping a limit.

TNFL

I dont think Corey was trying to say you cant keep your limit or anything as such.. just be selective in the ones you do keep... Those big gills and big crappies are the genes we want to stay in the lake to produce other big bulls and big slabs for the future....

I too agree that there are some people that only get out "once" in awhile to fish... But, there are others that fish everyday... and keep almost everything they catch.. I see it a lot on the waters I fish and waters I travel too.. And there are some that fish a lot, but throw a lot back.. Does it even it out.. I am not sure.. but when talking panfish, it always seems people are keeping the BIGGER variety of the panfish species.... So selectively harvesting 6 to 7 to 8 inch Gills.. Or 9 to 10 to 11 inch crappies for your limit is definately better then harvesting gills over 9 or 10 inches or crappies over 12 inches.. Somes lakes are different and can sustain keeping fish over these marks, but this is general for most lakes I have seen and fished. Some are exceptional and just produce big fish no matter what..

With more and more fisherpeople and better angling methods, we do need to protect fisheries better to sustain healthy populations of fish for the future.. I hope the panfish will see this shortly as well..

You got it JKH, but I have a few spots that I keep the smaller ones and throw back the bigger ones (unless I get one or two to mount) but I know I can have these spots to myself usually, and if I can't have them to myself I won't fish them. Just for the fact that I have had people follow me out to other panfishing spots in previous years that I found myself, and that nobody fished before, and they see me catching fish and then they come over and horn in and keep the bigger fish (bluegills) that I released back to have a chance to grow bigger to 10" bullgills. Then pretty soon its a town out there and I have to find another spot for myself. Or I know people have watched me from shore or from their cabins while I am fishing and saw me catch some fish or my limit and when I leave they come out or go out the next day and take their limit of whatever size they want usually bigger ones. Kind of makes you not want to go fishing or just keep a limit of the bigger panfish then if people are just going to follow you or horn in on your secret holes that you found yourself and have had to yourself for years that you kept quiet and practiced selective harvest at them.

I fish the same lakes as everybody else. grin.gif

With the comment about the note at the access, all I am trying to say is that this could act as a reminder to us all to respect the quality fishery we have. Not all lakes are the same and the knowledge that is shared on this site along with others can only reach so many. A little note at the access would be just that, a note to remind us. Kind of like the exotic species sign about milfoil or special regulations for Walleye, Muskie, etc.

How often we get to go fishing has nothing to do with this topic. Just stating the tip that we should try and help preserve the future of our fisheries. smile.gif

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

I went to the DNR's HSOforum and pulled out some of this information. To read the whole article go to their site and enter keyword "Sunfish Management"...

Overfishing

Many fish managers are beginning to believe that overfishing -- not stunting -- is the reason some lakes do not produce the big bluegill they once did. In such cases, growth rates are normal and food is plentiful, but anglers simply catch and remove all the good-sized fish, leaving behind the smaller bluegill, which multiply without the controlling influence of the large fish.

If this is true, the solution seems to be more straightforward: more big sunfish must be left in the lake if people are going to continue to enjoy catching them. Again, a diverse approach seems most promising. A few "trophy bluegill" lakes could be managed with a restricted harvest of big sunfish -- perhaps even a catch-and-release requirement. Most lakes would continue to be managed with a liberal bag limit to provide panfish for the pan.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

I agree with you Corey. On these southern MN lakes that are generally between 500 and 1500 acres, keeping the bull 'gills and/or slab crappies can be devestating to a lake. And it doesn't matter what time of year people catch them, whether it be ice fishing or open water fishing. Removing bull 'gills or slab crappies from these lakes, and most any other lake throughout the state, will have a negative impact. So we all must implement good catch and release policies if we want to continue to enjoy these sizes of fish.

You also made note about musky fisherman and how most of them now days release everything they catch. I think you make a good point there. One thing I'll add to that, is when people catch muskies, they see them as a trophy....a fish of a lifetime in some cases. When people catch panfish, they simply see them as tablefare. Nobody is really interested in cutting up and eating a musky, but if they get a slab crappie or bull 'gill, in my opinion, the instant response for some people is "this will fry up nice and crispy!".

I know of a lake that, 20 years ago, had great sized 'gills in it. Now, today, all one can find are 3" - 5" 'gills with the occassional 6" 'gill. Been that way for years now. And it's a shame.

"When people catch panfish, they simply see them as tablefare. Nobody is really interested in cutting up and eating a musky, but if they get a slab crappie or bull 'gill, in my opinion, the instant response for some people is "this will fry up nice and crispy!".

PANfish .... that is a bummer of nickname if you are a fish hoping to be put back in the water! mabye we should rename them? grin.gif

Quote:

How about putting them in the category of "rough fish"???
tongue.gif
Maybe then people will be more apt to let'em go.
shocked.gifgrin.gif

If that happens, we'll start using them for flathead cat bait. wink.gif

Easy now Catman! grin.gif

Yes, PANfish or SLAB's relate to meat on the table. The key however is being selective. Those names are going to stay but better awareness about how delicate these fish are need to be passed on to others. Heck, my kids already know how important it is to release those bigger fish. laugh.gif

Later,

Corey Bechtold

The DNR should write an article about selective harvest and put it in the Regs. I always hear about walleye selective harvest and protecting the breeder but rarely if ever on any other species

Or maybe one of the outdoor writers, we've got some good ones here on FM, could devote an article completely to selective harvest on panfish and have it in one of the bigger outdoors papers. It may help some people understand the benefits of selective harvest. It would be a good reminder for people during the spring spawn season. They always seem to have an article talking up techniques to take advantage of the fast panfishing in the spring but rarely do they stress the importance to release the big fish especially at this time of the year.

I think the Fishing Regulations actually have a note in there about Selective Harvest. I think it's on page 73. Nothing real specific but they make note that more information can be found on their websits.

I'd also like to see more articles about this subject. I know In-Fisherman has done a few on this subject or at least made some light of it in recent issues. Anyway, getting the word out is the way to go.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

Keeping a limit is not frowned upon, the fact of the matter here is understanding that the larger fish need to be returned to the water. You'll get a nice fillet off a 10-12 inch crappie or a 7-9 inch sunfish, I don't personally see the need to kill a crappie over 12 inches or a sunfish over 9 inches just so you can get an extra half-a-bite of fish. Those are the fish that are going to preserve the larger gene pool.

I've kept a limit of panfish on numerous occasions, that is totally fine. However, that has been when the intention is to feed more than just myself, but regardless, a limit of fish is OK, just practive selective harvest...

Quote:

Those are the fish that are going to preserve the larger gene pool.

Is there scientific evidence that bluegills that live long enough to reach >9" produce larger bluegills when they spawn? Do they really have it in there "genes"?

I fish Spirit Lake and Okaboji in Iowa quite a bit and there is no limit on crappies and sunnies and have never seen any lake produce as many trophy crappies and bluegills as there. I see people haul bucketfulls of big crappies and bluegills out of there all the time. I don't because I prefer not to spend two hours cleaning fish when i get home.

One thing I've noticed that concerns me. When the sunfish limit was thirty I saw lots of people taking limits, but they were not very size selective. They didn't need to be size selective because they could keep enough fish to have a good fish fry even if they were 4 or 5 to the pound. Usually you would have a couple 7 to 10 ouncers mixed in and everybody was happy. Now panfish fishing has completely changed. On lakes where there is a five or ten fish limit people keep only the biggest of the panfish, and all of the small ones are left in the lake. Of course this isn't the case with all fisherman, but it is with most.

The fact is that most people fish panfish for food, and the lower limits drive them to select the largest fish in order to get more meat. Because of this, I think higher limits are better for both types of fishermen at the same time.

Let's change the way we measure a limit from whole units (10 fish) to total pounds, and then see where opinion of whats reasonable stands.

New restriction: You can keep 6 pounds of Crappies (before cleaning of course).

Do the math, and see how many fish you can keep when 9 inch fish bite, 12 inch fish bite, and "URL" Crappies bite.

Suddenly, I'd bet people throw back more big ones when they want to fill the dinner table based on this method vs. a total fish count limit.

Selective harvest isn't defined by saying "Throw all the big ones back".

It means BE SELECTIVE.

If you go fishing and catch nothing but 12"+ fish, I wouldn't expect you to go home empty handed just because smaller ones didn't bite.

But if you are catching a good number of 9-10" fish and get half a dozen trophys mixed in, maybe you don't need to keep all 6 of the big ones because you have a SELECTION of size available.

I like to eat...wait, I LOVE to eat fish. I eat em' until I am stuffed. But it has never taken me more then 10 average sized Crappies to fill my belly.

And admit it, frying a hunk of meat off a 13" Crappie is a pain in the you know what. Them 9 inchers though, ooooo weeeeeee they sure do crisp up nice.

There is evidence that big bull sunfish will produce big sunfish. It isn't that small sunfish of the same gene pool won't, it's that a lot of small sunfish don't have the genetic makeup to get big. So if you take the big ones out, you are lessening the chance of fertilization of the eggs by a large genetic line. There are some great DNR articles that explain how genetics play a part in lake size structure. Hope this makes sense.

With that, a friend of my cousin was out yesterday, and he was selective. Selective to the point of keeping sunfish over 1 lb. Doesn't make much sense to me when he was able to catch as many -1/2 pounders to eat. I've tried to explain to him, but he thinks there is an endless supply. Sad from my point of view. Well, good luck on the ??ice water. Brent