• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2002 Sportsman 500 H.O. opinions

CASTnBLAST

A neighbor of mine has one of these up for sale.My wife and kids will be getting the most use out of it if we decide to purchase since I ride dirtbike although I'll likely be the one plowing the drive with it LOL! I've only owned one wheeler and that was a 2x4 Explorer that I was constantly getting stuck with so I sold it and bought an amphibious 6 wheeler that would go anywhere but without any suspension was hard on the back. I have had great luck with Polaris snowmobiles but was wondering what those in the know think of this machine???

I bought a 2002 Sportsman 500 H.O. from a friend two years ago. Love it. I like it better than a 700. Nephew has a 700. If you lose your battery power you're SOL. The 500 HO has a pull cord for starting also. On extremely cold days I can't get enough spark with the igintion to start it. One pull and it fires right up. They are cold blooded and need to be choked for quite a while when cold.

A very good friend of mine has the 500 HO and we ride together quite a bit. He has always been very happy with the machine and never had any problems. Seems to have plenty of power for work too.

I look at the 500HO as the bread and butter machine for Polaris' ATV line. The motors are pretty much bulletproof, they have plenty of power to do most anything you need, and they are nimble enough to enjoy trail riding. IMO, a Sportsman 500HO is a great go-to machine.

Blaze

I have a Sportsman 400 from that year and I plow any amount of snow for a half dozen neighbors plus relatives. My machine has plenty of power. My brother has the 500 HO and it does have slightly more power. Great machines.

I have the '01 Sportsman 500 HO Remington Edition and it's been a great machine for me. The only thing I have had to do is have a new starter put in. I managed a season without the electric start, but I know I spent a few days on the couch with a shoulder problem from trying to pull start that beast, but like I said it can be done. All-in-all, very good machine. I have almost 2000 miles on mine and no issues. Plows great too!

I've got an 05' 500 HO and love it, my only gripe is you're S.O.L if you have a dead battery, can't even pull start it which I don't get why. I alway's thought that the pull start option was there incase of a dead battery, but I guess the reality is it's there if you want a workout. Although it's not really a workout because mine fires on 2 pulls every time, regardless of the temp. If your battery's good it's not an issue. Oh, and when pull starting, every once in a while it'll backfire or something and about rip your hand off, that's what it feels like anyways. Other than that, just like any others, keep up on maintenance and it's an awesome machine!