• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eclipse image

Well, it was a nice try.

The moon wasn't coppery red where it was in the earth's shadow, like I'd read, at least not where I was. And we had some haze issues close to the horizon, so this is what I ended up with.

Win some, lose some. Oh well, looks nice enough, just not the copper colored dream moon I'd really hoped for.

Anyone else get any?

Canon 20D, Canon 100-400L IS at 400mm, iso100, .8 sec at f14, tripod, remote release

"Moon rises, eclipse falls, Burntside River"

eclipse.jpg

Went to Thompson hill in Duluth hoping for great things but it seemed like to much light when it was on the horizon to see. I had my 100-400 with the 1.4 teleconverter on a tripod. Still learning laugh.gif.IMG_1072pp.jpg[/image] [image]IMG_1080pp.jpg[/image] [image]IMG_1085pp.jpg[/image]

I went out and tried to get a good shot. If I would have been in a better place for my first attempt, it would have been great. Looking at the first shots I got they moon was bright red / copper, but it was through heavy tree cover. Couldn't find a hill and when we made it out to the lake, nobody was brave enough to drive on it. That said, we decided not to risk it with my 8 month old in the truck. We went to my buddy's dad's place for dinner and I set up on the deck. Here is the one that turned out best on the deck.

Original shot was 3072x2048 and then cropped to 1200x800 at 300 dpi. After that photobucket resized it again. Not the best, but a good try through the trees.

IMG_0542a.jpg

Here was the concilation prize though. As we were leaving, my buddy's niece came over to give her future hubby a kiss goodbye. She is just over 2, and he is 8 months, but they are already great friends. The best is when they wrestle.

IMG_0582a-1.jpg

Hey, great shot of the kids. On the moon shot, the meter exposed for the sky/trees, which is why the moon was blown out. That's a good time to switch to manual and underexpose a couple-three stops. Next time! grin.gif

I gave that a shot and it really couldn't catch much light through the trees, nothing but noise and a tiny white dot in the middle of the frame. Oh well. I have heard that this is the first of three rounds of lunar eclipses available this year. I think for the next one, if we can see it, we should all get together and set up somewhere. If it works out, I will rent a 400 or something along those lines.

I missed most of it as I went to see a movie with the 2 younger boys. Caught part of it as it was ending on my way home. Got home, strapped on the snowshoes, and walked in the bright moonlight on fresh snow. Saw deer and one fisher. Life is great. I like the moon shots over Duluth on Thompson Hill. Polarsus, I got a chuckle of your "future husband and wife" picture. A buddy of mine has a daughter and we, for several years, have told my youngest son that that is his future wife grin.gif