• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How good are those ATV plows?

dogs

Thinking about picking up a plow for an ATV, while looking at them was wondering if the road up in the snow or are they heavy enough? Got a small Driveway 70 X 18 and steep. But can't find a snowblower.

At times, ATV plows will "ride up on top", when plowing over tracks from a vehicle that has packed down the snow. Not always but sometimes. If you plow a fresh snow, no problems scraping it down clean.

Quit thinking about it and get it.I'd recommend a 60" plow, most if not all brands are good. I've got an American Eagle, and have used the Moose,and the Cycle Country.They will amaze you what they are capable of plowing!

I haven't need my chains yet. But I have stayed on the plowing or should we call it playing.

I had a bolt break on my bracket that mounts to the machine this morning because a very small weld cracked on a small inch by inch piece. I put a call in to the company about 10 minutes ago and emailed them pictures and a description. We will see what their customer service is like. Hopefully positive, I asked if it would be possible to get Saturday delivery of the replacment part. I will report back with how things go.

The place were I bought it from said I could bring it in and they would fabricate something that would work, but I don't wanna drive 45 minutes one way to get it fixed today, but atleast they will take care of it for sure.

Update: I heard back from the manufacturer within a few hours, the replacment part is on it's way.

I have a 60" cycle country and like it. It moves a decent amount of snow with my grizzly. Like Dave said they will ride up if trying to plow hard pack. If you hit it when its fresh they work great.

Does anybody know of a good atv V-Plow? I would think this would would be the way to go if there is such a thing.

I havent used a v plow, but I know somebody that did have one, lots of money and to heavy! He used it a couple times and traded it in for a 60" western plow, he said it is much better. I personally have the 60" works good untill someone drives on the snow, or when you dont think ahead in december and push the piles back far enough, then you get 3' of snow in march and no where to put it because it wont push the old frozen piles back. Oh well, its gotta melt soon!

I have chains for Ice fishing but I do not use for plowing as I have a blacktop driveway. They work great and you do not even need 4wd, however they can mess up a blacktop driveway in a hurry. I find you really do not need them for basic plowing.

Kirch

Have a 60in cycle country, works great except on these real windy storms. Driveway drifts over and just gets to be too much. My driveway is 450 by 24 so Im pushing a good pile. Like the previous poster make sure you push your banks back far enough.

My drive is about 80' to 100' long and steep as well. I have a sportsman 700 with the 60" american eagle (bought from rocky mtn). After using a snowblower last year and the new plow this year, I will never go back. Very happy with the plow and I've got some pretty impressive snowbanks to show for it!

I have the 48 inch Cycle Country on a 300 Honda. I was able to get four of the five driveways I plow done, pushing it back about fifteen feet but this last 14 inches is filling up my space pretty fast. I was able to get a ramp started in my yard and have a bank that is higher than the street signs. This works good but you don't want to spin your tires up on top or go to far or you are stuck big time. I had to pull my machine off with the truck a couple times. In a usual year it can't be beat, able to play on the fourwheeler and get your driveway cleaned. But I'm glad I didn't sell the snowblower either, it has sat for four years without being used but she got a workout yesterday.

If you have the place to push the piles of snow, nothing beats the spead and mobility of a quad with a plow. I live in a culdasac and I have to push the snow from my driveway into my own yard frown.gif, but I have plowed out neighbors where I can push the snow across the street into a field, or into a sypathetic neighbors yard grin.gif, and it is very fast. I can plow over 2 driveways before any other neighbors finish with the snow blowers. Now this only goes for a deep snowfall. We had over 16 inches here, with the city plows leaving us with a five foot bank at the end of each of our driveways. I plow the same speed if there is 3" or 20" of snow. With a snow blower you really have to slow down with the deep stuff. Hope this helps.

Fish07056.jpgThis was the weekend snow, end of Feb.

CopyofFish07106.jpg Weekend bigger storm. Notice the grill or steps for height reference. All plowed with a "330 Polaris" 60" V-Plow (lock n Ride is a slick system)

Fish07104.jpg Out of my truck window. 130' driveway and over 40" berms.

Very tough to plow as I got to it too late and snow accumulated too much. I could not push it back far enough.

I would have spent hours with a snowblower, although they have their place.

If I had a choice, I would stick with the wheeler & a plow.

river-rat4

I bought a 60" Glacier for my 500 Sportsman, and absolutely love it. It made short work of all that snow we just had, and is more fun than blowing or shoveling. I also plowed a huge pile of snow for the kids to play with in the yard, because with the lack of snow for the past 10 years, they never got to experience digging a snow fort.

Get the 60" articulating plow its well worth it. I have freed my neighborhood many of times on the county road over 2 miles long. Make sure your blade is coated so the snow wont stick. No walk behind snow blower will compare. Unless you have to sqeeze between the hot tub and garage wall.. wink.gif