• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

20' Lund Alaskan in the wind

swedishpimple

Has anybody fished out of a 20' Lund Alaskan with the full counsel in the wind. This looks like a good boat for what I do, but I am not sure about such a big but very light boat in the wind. I am afraid the windshield (not to mention a full set of canvas) would like a sail and blow me all over the place.

I don't know what they weight is but a 20' boat I can't image will be that light. I know Fiskynut fish out of one of these often he can probably shead some light on this for you.

I have not fished out of one but I believe Lund made them originally for resorts on Lake of the Woods ie: big water. A friend of a friend has an 18' and he runs it on LOW all the time and loves the boat. I looked at them but went with a used Pro-V because I wanted storage space/rod lockers etc.

They are pretty light for their size. The 2025 Pro-V dry uneqipped weight is about 2,100 lbs. The Alaskan is about 1,275 lbs. There are many reasons for this which is an entirely different topic. I love to hunt and fish the big water (LOW, Winnie, Red, etc.) I know the Alaskan can handle big water....but how does it do in a narrow river??

They are lighter then some of the 20ft boats, but they handle the water very well. Fished out of a 18ft on big water with my Uncle and I was skeptical at first, but that thing works great...also, that is what the DNR had for boats on Rainy Lake and LOW last summer when we were checked, and they said they liked how they handled.

I do not duck hunt from my Alaskan but I can say it is fairly narrow for it's length and does not seem to draw as much water as the IPS hulls on the other Lund boats. I know a fellow up at Voyageurs that has a camo 18 Alaskan and loves it for duck hunting. I've seen Alaskan 20's rigged in the Erie area specifically for ducks with home made blinds.

I can say that you probably cannot find a rig that has more useable floor space than an Alaskan. I joke about being able to square dance in mine. Lots of room for dekes!

booter