• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance H2O and riding...

crappace

I've got the 2006-2007 snowmobile trails as an overlay on my GIS at work. I can export the overlay to a table and save as a.dbf file. I'm trying to find the corresponding shape file on our server to export to GPS. I'm trying to work out a way to convert the data to a basic GPS file that lowrance will use. The issue I have is that there are so many waypoints needed to create each trail for the state that my converter program timed out after about 32,000 waypoints due to a lack of space for the points in the program. I will try to figure out if I can select just a few trails off of the shape file and convert those to to GPS format. I'll keep my fingers crossed. If I could get that to work out it would be sweet.

BTW I did have my H2Oc with me on the trail last weekend along with a hardcopy map and still found the unit helpful, especially when making a wrong turn on part of the trail that was unmarked.

It sounds like that US Trail Maps place knows there is a market and is in talks with Lowrance to get something out for next year. The guy I talked to was great.

Deadhead - if you get something worked out would you put it on a SD card...then could the units read that card? I have only put Nav and Lakemaster chips in, which have obviously worked fine.

Not that I know of. The GPS realy helps keep you from getting on the wrong track. Best thing you can do is start a new trail on your gps, run it with your sled, name it and save it. Next time you go make it visable and start a new trail, with a different color, and you basicly made your own trail map.

I thought about that, but the times you need the map the most is when you are on an unfamiliar trail.

If I get the trail/waypoint conversion thing figured out, yes, I would put it on a SD card. Depending on the numbers of waypoints and available internal memory, I may upload the local trails in town to the H2O unit.

Quote:

Does the Lakemaster chip have trails on it?? If not, is there a way to get trails on the Lowrance units??? North of Grand Rapids this weekend and I want to use the gps if I can! Thanks, Brent

Here you go! He updates it and posts at JohnDee (Contact Us Please).

GPSSledmaps

The maps are great. The full trail map version takes a while between refreshing. This will probably not be an issue if you are using while riding though, as you wouldn't be zooming in and out all the time. You need to download the trails to an SD/MMC card the unit will read the files off of the card.

Does anyone know what software will read a .lcm file? I would like to take the local trails (#8 and #9) and convert the trail info to a .usr file that I can upload to my gps unit. I would like to able to have the trail on my GPS unit, while using my lakemaster chip. When i renamed the lcm. file to a .usr file, the lat/long data got screwed up and my trail was out in the middle of the atlantic.

Quote:

Sounds like the map datum is off

i realize that tongue.gif

I was having trouble getting the datum converted from my ESRI shapefile to the programs I used, GDM6, easyGPS, track maker, etc. The datum was in NAD83 and used the UTM coordinate sytem, zone 15. the programs kept wanting to put it into zone 28A. Also I notice my H2Oc is running WGS84 datum.... ugghh I wish there was a datum standard for north america...

I'll try that gpsbabel and see if it works. thanks.