• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Warn Winch Breaking again???

hill7410

I also broke my cable three times. Simple knot tied back to the plow finished my job, but was extremely frustrated that it kept breaking.

Here is what i am thinking from the 07 Arctic Cat catalog...

ATV WINCH SYNTHETIC ROPE

For use with Arctic Cat/WARN 2500 lb. and

3000 lb. Winches with aluminum drums.

Includes synthetic rope, rock guard sleeve and

roller fairlead. 50’ x 3/16”.

0436-962 $99.95

does anyone have this installed and used already? Comments good or bad?

Once you go to sythetic rope you'll wonder why you even bothered with that da$% cable for so long! I broke my rope for the first time yesterday (after 2 years), tied a simple knot and I've been plowing ever since.They recommend a hawse fairlead for the rope, not a roller as it could pinch the rope and start the fraying process.

I have not heard of that before, would that be as strong and how did you put that on, just take it apart and wrap it yourself. You can use the same winch right, you just have to buy the rope? How much would that be?

The rope is actually stronger than the cable. Just remove the cable, and replace it with the rope the same way your cable was connected.The rope goes for about $50 I think? You should purchase a hawse fairlead with it to, which is a sanded and polished fairlead which will not fray your new rope.I cannot post where to find this product, so just do a search for synthetic winch rope for atv's.

jltimm,

Warn recommends a roller fairlead and I really don't see a reason why the rope would get "pinched" when using a roller fairlead. That'd be much less harmful to the rope than just the polished fairlead.

Synthetic_Rope.jpg

I've read differently on my winch rope which is Amsteel brand.I've heard if the roller fairlead is new you can use it, but I was skeptical of pulling at bad angles with the roller fairlead.Another advantage of the rope and aluminum fairlead is weight, it is alot lighter setup than the cable and roller fairlead.

I see in the 07 ATV Arctic Cat catalog they are 99.99 but also see a different brand on an extrememly respected and profited online auction HSOforum (hint hint) for around 50 bucks shipped. Is it worth the extra 50 bucks, or are you just buying brand name? Amsteel is the brand on the online auction, and they also have a fairlead for synthetic rope for 28$ free shipping. Here is a pic of the fairlead on the auction site.

fairlead.jpg

Is Arctic Cat a sponser? Anyways.....my ATV catalogue shows that all the new Warn winches with synthetic rope have a roller fairlead. Synthetic ropes are for use on only an aluminum drum for those of you who are thinking about changing out the cable. Synthetic is also 10X stronger than the cable. Hope this helps.

Quote:

Synthetic is also 10X stronger than the cable. Hope this helps.

10 times? I'd question that number and the source. I've been researching several different brands and the highest advertised rating I have found was 174% stronger than cable. Thats still nothing to scoff at considering the weight savings and no more shredded hands.

I actually got my Amsteel synthetic winch rope from that popular online auction place.That fairlead you have a pic of looks like the one I have, other than mine is silver-aluminum. I've done nothing but abused my rope, and I have only broke it once plowing.

I think that aluminum drum only thing is a false statement as well as the 10x stronger statement? One other thing, if you order the rope get 3/16" not 1/4" as you will only get 50' of 3/16" on a warn winch.

Quote:

Neve hear of this problem? Is the cable binding on itself? I pulled out stock cable and installed a short 10 foot section so it doesnt get bound on winch for plowing.

10' section of what?

Quote:

You must have good luck or something, because after 4 years of plowing with my old wheeler my 50' cable was only about 30' long, from constant fraying and breaking.

Same here, Just broke mine on the last snowstorm.