• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Funny but sad news.

JohnMickish

Manufacturer Fact: Toyota might be a foreign factory, but the Camry is the only NASCAR model produced in the United States. The Ford Fusion is produced in Mexico. The Dodge Charger and Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS are produced in Canada. Camrys are built in Kentucky.(San Diego Union Tribune)

Quote:

Even though they are made in the US the employees don’t make
dump
compared to what they make in Detroit (GM). So it’s an easy decision for me, I support good paying jobs go CHEVY!

So you supporting the good payin jobs that the Canadians and the Mexicans have, right?

Quote:

So you supporting the good paying jobs that the Canadians and the Mexicans have, right?

Nope, the catch is that not all Toyotas are made here. And your right not all Chevy, ford and dodge. But there are still a few plants here in the states paying well. And if they didn’t have to compete with Toyota then all of their plants would probably still be in the states.

To me i really do not care 2 cents where my car is made, if it is made in America great if not oh well. I am going to spend my hard earned money where i feel i will get the best car for the money. Right now if i needed to buy a car i would buy a Toyota over the big 3 in a heartbeat. Reliability, Resale, overall quality of a vehicle. As soon as any of the Big 3 American companies come up with a car or truck that has the resale and reliability of a Toyota i will be the first in line.

Also if you are now going to worry about what people are being paid to manufacture the products you buy good luck with all that!!!

I was intrigued buy your statements and did some digging. This is what i found, could you post your source as to where you got the info about Detroit paying so much more:

In a memo to workers at the plant after the report was circulated, Toyota noted that workers at Georgetown earned $3 an hour more than the U.S. auto industry standard. The Free Press reported last week the workers averaged $30 an hour, including bonuses.

Currently, the median for comparable manufacturing jobs in Kentucky -- half earn more, half earn less -- is $12.64, according to the U.S. Department of Labor.

Tony Holland, my source is from a current employee (an old freind) with GM and actually I think he works in an Idaho plant (I havent talked to him in awhile so I could be wrong). I refer to Detroit because its the home of GM or atleast it was. But management could have just told them that to keep them happy. I guess I am just old school living in northern MN were so many people on the range have lost there jobs in the past, due to the foreign markets.

Thanks for bringing out the hard facts.

You guys discussing pay have to realize that there is more to your pay that what is on your check. Factor in vacations, paid holidays, retirement and lets not forget about health care and I bet the money in Detroit far outways what they are paying down south. I'd be real curious to find out what the total compensation packages are for both. What good is making $3 and hour more if you have to spend $1000 month to purchase your healthcare?

And just becuase it's made in America dosen't mean it's made by Americans. (wink wink.)

Quote:

You guys discussing pay have to realize that there is more to your pay that what is on your check. Factor in vacations, paid holidays, retirement and lets not forget about health care and I bet the money in Detroit far outways what they are paying down south. I'd be real curious to find out what the total compensation packages are for both. What good is making $3 and hour more if you have to spend $1000 month to purchase your healthcare?

And just becuase it's made in America dosen't mean it's made by Americans. (wink wink.)

Ok well i am guessing the the U.S. Labor Dept would take total compensation into account when taking these surveys. Just a guess....

No they don't because they don't know what each manufacturer gives. You can do a labor search in the metro here (on any occupation) and it will give you an average, not a per employer figure.

This is dated 02-07-2007

In a memo to workers at the plant after the report was circulated, Toyota noted that workers at Georgetown earned $3 an hour more than the U.S. auto industry standard. The Free Press reported last week the workers averaged $30 an hour, including bonuses.

This dated 2003

As of the second quarter of 2003, a UAW-represented assembler earns $25.63 per hour of straight time. A typical UAW-represented skilled-trades worker earns $29.75 per hour of straight time.

Neither one really tells us anything, but what I was wondering is, what does this mean " U.S. auto industry standard"? What is all included in that?

I don't know why I started this thread, I didn't intend for it to go here.

How many of you can say you bought a new car with no money down, no trade equity and a 5 year loan @ 3% and have more than 3k equity after 2 yrs?

I have a Camry and I can say that grin.gif

Try that with a GM tongue.gif

I bought a 98 Bravada in 2000 for approx 17k. The sticker was still in the glove box and bottom line was 33k. shocked.gif

I'm not saying the product is bad, and I'll never buy from the big 3 again, but so far, nothing is pushing me away from Toyota.

Quote:

I'm not saying the product is bad, and I'll never buy from the big 3 again, but so far, nothing is pushing me away from Toyota.

I hate to say it Darren, but your free rides in the 'Pro will start to diminish if you keep this talk up grin.gifgrin.gif

On my latest GM truck that I have ,even without the trade I gained 4k in equity after 2 years AND got 0% financing to boot, for the 2nd time. How's that for a "push" grin.gif

I will admit that the good offers don't seem to be there with the foreign cars....I buy them anyway....I am more into the "quality" and the "resale". I almost always sell my Camry's outright, versus trading as I don't get the best trade value(imo) but have no problem selling it for a good price. I don't think Toyota, etc. need to offer big discounts to sell their cars, so they don't.

I have a Dodge truck and love it, but iffin I had a few more $'s to spend(2nd vehicle), I'd be loadin up a new Tundra as we speak....drove the 2006 model and it was hard to tell if I was driving a car or truck.

I know times change, but of all the vehicles I've driven, I've never had to service my Camry's, exception being tires, struts, oil changes, general maintenance. 5 and counting and all but 1 I have run over 200k miles. I think I'm spoiled, but I won't look around until they prove me wrong, or I see a change for the worse. (JMO)

I'm not saying there aren't good American model vehicles, there are and I'm sure I'll buy one someday, just not anytime soon. grin.gif