• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jigging Spoons?

n8ivefl

Although I've used regular spoons before (without much success), these "Jigging Spoons" are new to me. Anyone have any thoughts on how best to use them and when best to use them?

Thanks,

Steve

I've used them in the winter back in the south. They work great over steep bluff banks and creek/river channels. Fish in the south tend to gang up on shad, and the jigging spoon is a great tool for this, since you can cover quite a bit of the water column with it. I prefer the vertical approach, since you can pick apart a piece of structure.

I would call it a trial and error process, since you need to determine what depth works the best. I find the more active fish are higher in the water column in the winter.

I like to use my fish finder up front in flasher mode with the sensitivity on high, which works just like the ol' Vex units ice fishing here.

Another great lure is a "silver buddy" and I tend to work it more like a jig. Since we don't really have a "winter" bass season like you do down south, I don't get to use these as much.

I hope this helps!

Deitz, you use jigging spoons all the time. Only it's in the winter and they are call Buckshot Rattle spoons. Principle is the same, if you notice when reading BassMasters or Bass Times when they do an article on "spooning" it is usually related to the cold water times of the year... sound familiar. I tried them a couple of times on deep fall walleyes, but decided that it was hard to beat a redtail. grin.gif

Hiya -

You know, I fish them most of the open water season for walleyes (if walleye guys only knew how well they work...), often in some pretty decent bass spots, and although I catch a bass here and there...that's about it. Even fairly late in the fall, I still don't catch too many. Some, but never lots. Could be where I'm using them I suppose, but I fish enough weedlines with them that if there were something to using them for bass up here, I'd have stumbled across it.

The one possibility is it's a retrieve thing. I jig pretty hard for walleyes. But even at that, I think I'd catch more my accident than I do.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Re-read... Bro I just told you they work the same soft-water or hard-water periods. For a beer and a steak I will take you out and school you on how to fish the Buckshot Rattle spoon on open water grin.gif I know we will take Ray with us then when we BOTH BEAT YOU we will post it in the FM, how about it Ray grin.gif

For those that don't know. Wayne(agape) and I are very good friends...So, this is just friendly banter. It is kind of funny however how we get along so well as our sponosrs are usually opose each other.. Him Quantum, me Shimano, him Strike King, me Mr.Twister. LOL...

Wayners-.. I accept any challenge you got...I aint sceeeeered of you!