• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV Battery

Eckie

Hi guys - About six months ago or so, I bought a new battery for my 4 wheeler from Walmart. For a couple of months, all was fine and I was a happy camper. The last month or two, I haven't used the wheeler much at all, it's basically sitting on the trailer in my garage. I usually try and start it every couple of weeks, to keep it charged, but lately, it seems the battery is not holding its' charge, and the other night, didn't have enough juice to start the engine. The garage is heated so the machine sits in 60 degree comfort, so temperature shouldn't be an issue. I'm wondering if I got a bad battery?? The machine is an 02 Yammy Kodiak 400. Please advise..thanks.

You are probably doing more harm than good by starting it every couple weeks. ATV's have a pretty weak charging system, so unless you are running it at high RPM for a sustained period you are hurting the battery more than you are helping it.

I would agree. It takes a while to recharge a battery after expending the current required to turn over the engine. Without running it long enough to fully recharge, you are probably causing more harm than good. It's not a bad idea to start the motor occasionally but I would recommend putting a charger on the battery to recharge it fully when you do this.

Also, when you start the motor be sure to let it run long enough to get well warmed up or you could cause the muffler and exhaust system to rust due to condensation. Many exhaust issues with automobiles are caused by not getting well warmed. It's usually best to run a vehicle for at least 10 or more miles to dry out the condensation so an ATV may require significant running time to do likewise.

Bob

Thanks for the advice...when I do start the machine, I usually let it run for some time to allow time for the battery to recharge. I thought I had read a while back that it was good practice to start it up every now and then if the machine is not being used on a regular basis. Since I haven't used it since early ice, I didn't think it was good to "let it sit" for the remainder of the winter (even if in a warm garage)...guess I need to throw the charger on it....

I do have a winch on it, but in the 4 years I had the original battery in it, this wasn't an issue. (the winch was dealer installed at time of purchase).

Bottom line then ~ the battery, if fully charged, should remain fully, or close to fully charged, when not in use for weeks at a time and I shouldn't have to worry about it at all?

Thanks.

I do not want to put down your choice of where you purchased the battery...but, you get what you pay for. I would spend the money and goto either the dealer...which you say lasted you 4 years. I personally will never go anywhere else then Interstate, they have professional people and the products have never let me down.

I know this thread does not help you out much, but, I let mine sit weeks at a time, without doing anything to it. But, then again it is a Honda. grin.gif

As much as I hate to admit it, I am starting to agree with you StMichael on my place of purchase. I'm usually a big believer in your theory. I doubt they will do anything about it now, since its' been several months since I bought it, but I'll be calling them anyway to see if a return is possible.

For what it's worth - this is the first issue I've had with ol' Kody in 5 years now. wink.gif Thanks for the reply.

Quote:

As much as I hate to admit it, I am starting to agree with you StMichael on my place of purchase. I'm usually a big believer in your theory. I doubt they will do anything about it now, since its' been several months since I bought it, but I'll be calling them anyway to see if a return is possible

It never hurts to try...I'd give 'em a call.

I know we all try to save a buck here and there...sometimes it works out.

Quote:

For what it's worth - this is the first issue I've had with ol' Kody in 5 years now.

I have heard a lot of good things about the "Kody".

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

Anytime, "Remember: we are all in this together".(quote from Reg Green) grin.gif

Called Walmart...they have a 1 month replacement, 6 month warranty, with proof of purchase. If after six months, must go directly through the manufacturer. Starting to look like I blew $90 on a crappy battery. I'll pick up a maintainer charger and see if that will help...

Live and learn.

Thanks guys~

Did you charge the battery on a trickle charger for 24 hours before use?

$90 seems really high for a battery from walmart. The dealer would probably be cheaper. Also, napa has interstate batteries for about $45-50.

Get a battery tender from cabelas and keep that on it. That way you won't have to start it so often. When you do start it, make sure you drive it for a good 10 minutes at high rpms. BTW, it's easy to keep high rpms in the snow. smile.gif

$90 was the cheapest price I found...and I checked many places..all other places were more than $100. When I started this search, I thought prices were somewhat extreme too, but soon realized I needed to expect to pay no less than $90 for a battery.

I'm going to Cabela's on Saturday..will pick up a tender.

Appreciate the insight.

For $90, I'd suspect it's basically a gel cell mat type battery. In one of my Sportsman's, I threw in a $35 Walmart battery (EverStart I believe) and been fine for 2 years. In another Sportsman I have the dealer gave me a $95 gel cell, after the factory battery died, and that only lasted less than a year.

The less you use them the less they last. Maybe thats why mine keep going. smile.gif My present 02 still has the original battery and hasn't had a problem yet. The only one I had to put a battery in was my 99 Foreman. It was about 4 years old with 6000 miles and I was selling it to a good friend and I didn't want problems. The Yuasa batteries seem to last pretty good and I can get them for around 65 bucks last time I checked.

You either got a bad battery or your not letting it run long enough. When I start mine in the winter to just charge the batery it runs for no less then 1 hr. Realy setting in a heated place like yours is you shouldn't have to worry about it.