• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
snapcrackpop

Saw for spearing?

Ive got the one made in Winger it works great.As far as bending they do bend but they are supposed to for cutting around corners.I love mine wish id a bought one years ago

I use the same kind of saw as the others have meantioned. Goes quick when the ice is relatively thin. I usually start drilling more holes when the ice is like it is now. I only wish they bit into the ice a little more. It seems like most of the enery into pulling the blade into the ice, and not as much cutting the ice.

Quote:

Chainsaw if the ice isn't too thick works great!
cool.gif

The bar oil from the chain saw can stay as a film on the top of the water.

Quote:

What saw do you use to cut the holes for spearing?

Where do you get one?

How much?

The Winger one with the oak handle is a good one. NilsMaster also makes a good one. They are less than $100.

I have seen the one made in Winger in use. It looked to be very easy to use and cut very nice. I think the guy that made them used to be on here. Maybe he will chime in and give you some info.

I have sold both the one mfg. in Winger and the Nils, I have tried both as well. The Nils will bend on the tip if you try to start a hole and render the saw useless. The Fishes Toy saw from Winger, you can use it as a chisel and start sawing, with no pilot hole on ice 6" or less, which is usually the case if you use your house frequently. If outside and its cold, the Oak handle on the Winger,MN saw is alot warmer then the metal handle on Nils saw.

Overall both saws work well, but my preference is the blue saw from Winger,MN.

Up here on Kabetogama, nearly everyone that throws a spear has an ice saw. I sell the Winger,MN saw for $109, when I had the Nils they were $99.

Quote:

Any problems with it bending, too flimsy?

No mine has never bent and my is just flimsy enought... I can make it cut corners so my hole is just perfect!!!!

It is a no brainer toget the saw. It makes everythign so much easier as a spearing fisherman. I have had mine since they first came out, and i will never get away from them. Saves time off the auger, and helps with a better hole to look down with.