• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cordless nail guns

2dog

I'm going to do some remodeling this spring to my house. I'm going to replace the trim, new interior doors and do a room in knotty pine. I would like to buy a nail gun to do this work. I don't own a air compressor or a nail gun so I was thinking of maybe buying a cordless nail gun or one that runs on the gas cylinders. Anyone have any experience with these or can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Lot's of em in Pawn shop's. Do some research and you may just want to get an air gun, cheaper to. Self powered nail gun's could leave you out in the cold when the cell goes out and you can't find the right cartridge at 11:00 at night.

You can probably buy a compressor kit (finish nailer&brad nailer)cheaper and you won't be always buying batteries,gas,Unless your job requires you to do minor installs here and there.You can then air tires use compressed ait to blow things clean etc.

2Dog,

A few ways you can go on this. If you are just doing trim work, you can go with a dewalt 18V finish nailer or you can go with a Paslode impulse nailer. The paslode uses a battery and a fuel cell. It is basically a controlled explosion. The paslode is a much better quality nail gun but you will may more for it. If I were you I would go with an air nailer(compressor type). I know you said that you don't have a compressor but I saw at Mills Fleet not too long ago, a kit with 2 nail guns and a compressor for like $199. I believe it was a porter cable brand. The compressor is small but will be plenty sufficient to run finish nailers and finish staplers. I think the kit had an 18ga. brad nailer and a 16ga. straight finish gun.

Check it out.

Nate

I have both Paslode impulse nailer and a framer. Great tools. Little spendy but they have payed for themselves in time saved. But then again I use them on the job where time is of course money. Advantages of no air compressor needed no air hose to fight and no sound of compressor running. Can just store them in the tool box and with in seconds you are up and running with them. If you have a lot of work to be done you might look into the nailer. But a pancake compressor and nailer works to ( have that also).

same boat here, i run hitachi nailers and have a nice hitachi compressor and am looking for a framing nailer, i was thinking of getting one of those cordless but i have not made my mind up yet?

I have the Passlode nailer and it is great for knotty pine/carsiding/etc. That is the reason I got it, and it was worth every penny, especially when doing the ceiling. I got the straight nailer, but doing it again I would get the angled one for just 10 or 20 bucks more. They really are worth it IMHO, to not have the hose to drag around.

We used a buddy's 2 Passlode framers when we built my garage, and that convinced me the Passlode is the way to go, even for the extra $$. Unbelievabel from sheathing to studs to anything, and just having it hanging on your belt for when you need it.

If I was doing all workshop stuff, or just a quick little project it wouldn't matter.

Anyway, I am no pro, but love my little Passlode and also the bigger framers. Good luck,

I use impulse nailers all the time. I havent hade a compressor in my truck for about 5 years now. I believe their cost is more than made up by the portability, ease of usr and besides that I don't have to listen to some loud compressor running.

My vote as well goes to the Paslode's, as mentioned before they are a little more spendy but I guarantee you wont be dissapointed! My Dad has had the framer for about 5 years now and it has 5 garages as well as his 32x60 house under it's belt and still operates perfectly every time! I wouldn't start a job without one, in fact we were talking about buying a second one for backup just in case the first one happend to fail! Best thing is not not having to listen to the darn air compressor cycle all day long which can get irritating especially inside the house. Good luck with whatever you decide! \:D

I have an Impulse trim gun & use it some. I use my P-C trim gun & brad nailer for higher end stuff. Look at the nail size. Thinner is better.

Senco used to be the class in the field but I really like the P-C guns and their ability to control how deep you drive the fastener.

I have a paslode stud and finish nailer, they both work great. You need to make sure you have extra cartidges, just in case you are working on a weekend or late at night and your cell runs dry.

If you are just doing a few small jobs, you can get away with just a cheaper combo kit and it will work just fine. If you are going to use it alot then you should go with a Paslode. The electric nailers work great for trim and finish work, plus cheaper not having to gas cells.

Guys,

How long do the gas cells last? Say you used it none stop from start of cell to end of cell. How long would you guess it would last? Or better how many fasteners can be driven on a cell?

Interested in getting one, just wondering if it would be better for me or not.

Ryan

fishtrapgirls husband

Ryan, don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure on the Paslode framing nailer you can run through about 1 case of nails (2400) on 1 charge and 1 or 2 cells of fuel! My Dad and I both have one and I know we've both ran all day long framing up garages and houses on 1 battery pack and 1 cannister of fuel. Hope this helps.